• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Choosing combined degree (1 Viewer)

steggllh

HSC
I cant decide between a double degree in
- law/commerce
- arts/law
or science/law

I would like to hear peoples opinions on this

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
What do you like doing? What are you good at? This is hardly rocket science and is probably a decision that no one can really shed any light on for you.

I note that your HSC is due in 2010. It's probably not worth worrying about at this stage, get the marks and focus on the work in front of you for the meantime.

Edit: A cursory glance at your posting history tells me you'll pick science.

Last edited:

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Law/science is a lot of work, but if you enjoy it, I hear it is well worth the time.

04er

HSC
not to mention the contact hours, i hear they have 3 - 5 hr labs :S

i did bio, chem and physics in year 12, so it was really hard for me to choose as well. But in the end I had to look at it in practical terms, and the reality was I did not want to end up working in science. But that's just me...

dolbinau

HSC
*thread hijack*

With combined Law degrees, do we still have elective units with Arts - Major degrees/Law or is there just not enough room to accommodate? Or does this depend on the Uni/speciic course?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
dolbinau said:
*thread hijack*

With combined Law degrees, do we still have elective units with Arts - Major degrees/Law or is there just not enough room to accommodate? Or does this depend on the Uni/speciic course?
I imagine it would depend on the course.

I combined Social Science with Law and, with the exception of two compulsory subjects, I was free to choose whatever I wanted.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
dolbinau said:
*thread hijack*

I agree with Hypertrophy *btw how are you going, haven't seen you in a while*
its likely to depend on the course.

Most flexible degrees like Arts/SocSci allow a lot of room for electives etc I know others doing Bus Law and they don't have any electives but that is because they are doing a Double Degree with a Double Major but your best bet is to check the website of the uni you want to go to and see how the course is structured!

dolbinau

HSC
Well, I was looking at Macquarie so maybe you can be some help :p - I tried to e-mail someone from the Law department, however they couldn't help me and I haven't got a response from anyone else.

I was specifically looking at Arts-Psychology/Law

http://handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2008&code=PSYL01

Shamefully, I don't really know how to 'tell' if there are any optional units (there doesn't appear to be any room? but I don't know)

thanks

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
300 level
Required LAW314 Constitutional Law and Administration I (3) 3
Required LAW315 Constitutional Law and Administration II (3) 3
Required LAW316 Property in Law and Equity I (3) 3
Required LAW317 Property in Law and Equity II (3) 3
Required PSY332 Principles of Psychological Assessment (4) 4
Required 8 cp from PSY units 8

See the 8cp from PSY units, that looks like the only electives you get in Arts but don't hold me to that

These would be the options - http://handbook.mq.edu.au/unitcodeprefix.php?unitCodePrefix=PSY&level=3

Pysch would be pretty structured but if you wanted to take other arts units you could do them on top but that would take you longer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)