• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Charlie and the chocolate factory (1 Viewer)

payafee

HSC
i really enjoyed this film even though ive never read the book. i thought it was quirky and different than your usual run of the mill family films. Willy Wonka is an eccentric and twisted character but there are moments when you really feel for the guy. Johnny Depp just nailed it :D even when he's dressed like Marilyn Manson and has a resemblance to Michael Jackson, he is still so attractive. i loved how they zoomed into his face and showed the flashbacks to his childhood... hilarious!! the only thing that ruined the movie for me were the oompa loompas.

MoNNiE

HSC
haha yeah!!
i saw it yesterday..
when i saw the oompa loompa's i went oooh wtf@-@
i prefer the orange green ones!! at least they were abit more taller!

Genesys

HSC
The puppet Hospital and Burns centre was a classic...it made my movie. You gotta appreciate the fact that Johnny Depp can make any character excitingly creepy.

I am going to learn the oompa loompa dance routines and embarass myself at the formal

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
the oompa lumpa (singular) sucked, but I must say johnny depp can pull off anything.
3.5 out of 5.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
yup, the oompa loompas were crap... they were just stupid.

Johnny Depp is the sex... you cant go past him...

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Gosh, you really come out of the movie craving a wonka bar hahaha.
I thought it was really good, I loved the dances that the Oompa Loompas did hehehe. Johnny Depp was pretty creepy as well, but like others mentioned, he really suited what the character was supposed to be (unlike the original movie).
I recommend it to all!

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
cro_angel said:
Gosh, you really come out of the movie craving a wonka bar hahaha.
hehe yeh i came out wantin to buy a wonka bar as well.

i enjoyed the movie, except for the oompa loompas like other people have said. Also, they cut out the scene where charlie and grampa joe drank that drink that makes them fly... i cant remember if that was in the book though...

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I love Depp and thus loved the movie. I will watch it many times over like most Depp movies.

go_swans said:
oh well in that case it follows the book!
It follows it more but its different for sure. Or maybe my memory is bad D:
DEPP FOREVER <3<3

Last edited:

jebbie

HSC
~ForAGoodCause~ said:
hehe yeh i came out wantin to buy a wonka bar as well.

i enjoyed the movie, except for the oompa loompas like other people have said. Also, they cut out the scene where charlie and grampa joe drank that drink that makes them fly... i cant remember if that was in the book though...
And also he didnt give them the everlasting gobstoppers. And also Im pretty sure Depp's Dad wasnt in it either (the book) Not too sure, as I said, havent read it in ages and my memory is vague..

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I thought it was fucking awesome. Loved every minute of it. Full marks from me.

PS. Some of you should try reading the book before judging this and you'll see how it's infinitely inferior at, you know, telling the story

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Well I loved it. There were a lot of piss-funny lines that somehow went right over the heads of most of the audience I was with. And the oompa loompa songs were catchy.

I'm not a huge fan of so much CGI though. I hate when they try to digitally recreate human characters in movies. Ugh.

mishka

HSC
N/A
Murf said:
I thought violet's mum was cool, she was so familiar from somewhere (other movies) but cant quite remember. Besides that i thought da Oma Loompas were cool, even being played by one person, i thought it was cool seeing the same guy over and over again with different looks (and sounds etc).

Murf
I know where you might have seen Violet's mum... wasn't she that bad lady in one of the Beethoven movies?? (I remember the chin :p)

I enjoyed the sarcasm in this one and the special effects were heaps better than the original movie. I liked Charlie's grandfather (I've seen him somewhere before, too!)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
okay, i just watched and suprisingly I LIKED IT!!!!!!!

i thought i was gonna be the absolute purist and say "noooooooo gene wilder!!!" but I thought it was very cool. And yeah, i noticed the androgyny in johnny depp but he was so quirky and funny (gene wasn't really funny) and i like that! i loved the part when charlie decided to stay with his family and willy stepped into the elevator. his expression :(

i loved the cannibalism quote! and the "no offence..." "none taken...jerk!"
and when violet hugged him and he went :eek:
and i loveeed the new grandpa and mr bucket and mrs bucket...i really really like the new grandpa joe!

the only thing i didn't really like were the oompa loompas...

the different songs were cool. hahah beatles :D

mishka

HSC
N/A
Murf said:
lol i looked it up

Missi Pyle
thanks murf... so it wasn't from beethoven.... but I recognise her from Home Alone 4 now ;) I knew she was some bad lady :p

payafee

HSC
Sarah168 said:
okay, i just watched and suprisingly I LIKED IT!!!!!!!

i thought i was gonna be the absolute purist and say "noooooooo gene wilder!!!" but I thought it was very cool. And yeah, i noticed the androgyny in johnny depp but he was so quirky and funny (gene wasn't really funny) and i like that! i loved the part when charlie decided to stay with his family and willy stepped into the elevator. his expression :(

i loved the cannibalism quote! and the "no offence..." "none taken...jerk!"
and when violet hugged him and he went :eek:
and i loveeed the new grandpa and mr bucket and mrs bucket...i really really like the new grandpa joe!

the only thing i didn't really like were the oompa loompas...

the different songs were cool. hahah beatles :D
<3 you avatar

i started laughing my head off when he the grandpa did that little jig haha

jebbie

HSC
Murf said:
but i liked Mike Teavee's mum being more of a smartass, compared to a dumb / dopey nerdy weirdo like in this one.
In my opinion I thought this added to the movie. Considering it was a more realistic parent for such a kid as that. They already have the mother pushing their child into stardom with Violet's mum, they had the parents who pandered to their children, Veruca's dad and Augusta's Mum, so it showed another parenting style which would still allow a child to get out of hand/develop bad personality traits/qualities.

Haha Im obsessed. I love that movie though.. especially Johnny Depp <3

koukla

executive member... SMRT
HSC
"Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies."

johnny depp played willy wonka so much better, he also had a dark mysterious side but the loving side.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I don't think Depp played him better. He played him differently, put his own unique spin on the character. Gene Wilder was great in his own right. I loved Depp's kookiness though.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
definitely... thats the way Roald Dahl made him... weird... but then all of Dahls characters were weird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)