• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chances of 3-unit being counted in 10 best units for HSC? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What I basically mean by the title is that if someone is doing 2-unit and 3-unit (in this case 3-unit is considered as one unit), and the HSC only counts your top 10 best units, what are other chance of 3-unit being counted? What I also mean is if someone is doing 6 subjects including 3 unit maths so that's 11 units all together, how will 3-unit be counted? Is there literally no point of this subject?

funnytomato

HSC
if you have a 2-unit subject worse than(i.e. having a lower scaled mark than) maths ext 1,
math ext 1(1 unit) and half of that 2 unit subject(1unit) would be counted as two units

i.e. half of that 2 unit subject get discarded for the calculation of your ATAR

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
99% It scales so good thanks to the extension 2 mathematics students.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
if you have a 2-unit subject worse than(i.e. having a lower scaled mark than) maths ext 1,
math ext 1(1 unit) and half of that 2 unit subject(1unit) would be counted as two units

i.e. half of that 2 unit subject get discarded for the calculation of your ATAR
The subject that get's halved, is the subject that got the lowest mark or what?

99% It scales so good thanks to the extension 2 mathematics students.
Can you elaborate on this?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yes it is
Isn't that bad? Because if the subject that got the lowest mark was halved and 3-unit was havled, won't the combined mark be kind of low if you know what I mean?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Isn't that bad? Because if the subject that got the lowest mark was halved and 3-unit was havled, won't the combined mark be kind of low if you know what I mean?
Extension 1 maths isn't halved because it's only 1 unit.

And it would be a bit lower but not so much as if you had 10 units and all the subjects counted completely.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Extension 1 maths isn't halved because it's only 1 unit.

And it would be a bit lower but not so much as if you had 10 units and all the subjects counted completely.
Ohh I misunderstood the first part, but why is 11 units the best?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Ohh I misunderstood the first part, but why is 11 units the best?
It's a long process to understand. Unless you are very bright and talented, 11 units is the best way to go.

12 units is what people call the safety net. But after a whole year of putting in hard work, only 10 of those subjects are counted and the 12th one completely goes to waste. Sometimes, as it was for me, 2 subjects suffer because of the pressure to do all 12 units.
10 units, if you're very confident with all your subjects, will give you the least pressure and all of them will be counted. As I mentioned above screwing one of the subjects up will potentially lead you to downfall.
So weighing up both sides of the issue, 11 units is kind of the middle ground. That 1 unit you do well in will pull you up regardless of messing up the other 1 unit.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
It's a long process to understand. Unless you are very bright and talented, 11 units is the best way to go.

12 units is what people call the safety net. But after a whole year of putting in hard work, only 10 of those subjects are counted and the 12th one completely goes to waste. Sometimes, as it was for me, 2 subjects suffer because of the pressure to do all 12 units.
10 units, if you're very confident with all your subjects, will give you the least pressure and all of them will be counted. As I mentioned above screwing one of the subjects up will potentially lead you to downfall.
So weighing up both sides of the issue, 11 units is kind of the middle ground. That 1 unit you do well in will pull you up regardless of messing up the other 1 unit.
How high does 3-unit scale? I asked someone whether 3-unit is a good scaler and he said 4-unit is better, which is obviously true but is he trying to say that 3-unit is that much of a good scaler?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
How high does 3-unit scale? I asked someone whether 3-unit is a good scaler and he said 4-unit is better, which is obviously true but is he trying to say that 3-unit is that much of a good scaler?
3 unit is better than 2 unit by a mile. And 4u is better than 3u.

braintic

HSC
N/A
How high does 3-unit scale?
If you achieve the 76th percentile in Ext 1 (ie. you are beaten by 24% of the state) you will get an ATAR contribution which, if repeated in every subject, would get you an ATAR of 99.

For Ext 2, it is the 54th percentile which gets you 99.

funnytomato

HSC
Let's say for example the worst (i.e. the one with the lowest scaled mark* ) subject out of the 6 subjects(11 units) you choose is Visual Arts.

And Visual Arts and Maths Ext 1 have scaled marks of 70 out of 100 and 40 out of 50 respectively

Then you get 35 from 1 unit of Visual Art, 40 from maths ext 1.
So that's 75 altogether, rather than 70 solely from Visual Arts.

*: excluding 2 units of English, as it's compulsory to include it for ATAR calculations

braintic

HSC
N/A
also I don't think it gets "halved"

If I'm not mistaken, everything is calculated out of 50. See this: http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2014-tables/A3.pdf

For 1-unit subjects, they stay as a mark out of 50
For 2-unit subjects, they get "doubled"
Actually, that is not correct. It is merely the way the statistics are reported for the sake of consistency.
In any case, it makes no difference whether the marks are doubled or halved.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
How about if I have 13 units? Does 3-unit maths count?

braintic

HSC
N/A
How about if I have 13 units? Does 3-unit maths count?
The question means little as it stands. The two BEST units of English PLUS the next BEST 8 units count. How could that be answered when no-one knows how you will perform in those subjects?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)