• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Belonging - Romulus (1 Viewer)

epiktmt14

HSC
Hey guys,
i was wondering if, for a related text for Romulus My Father, if "Of Mice and Men" would be a good text.

Aspects of belonging I intended to look at are:
1. dislocating effects due to mental illnesses (Christine and Lennie)
2. Familial bonding (I know Lennie and George aren't brothers, but they have a strong relationship)

My main issues with using this text was the "migrant experience".
One of the main aspects of belonging in RMF is the isolation due to migration. Now, I know in "of mice and men" they don't necessarily "migrate" to another country, but they still migrate looking for work? is this a valid connection?

thanks guys

gella

HSC
romulus is such a cunt
you can link any texts together with belonging, Trust me

HSC
Uni Grad
Every connection is a valid connection in english, no matter how seemingly weak it may appear. It really irked me cos you can pretty much draw all kinds of crazy conclusions and meanings and stuff that was never intended by the author.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
i love romulus my father, such a depressing great sotry. film was great too.

epiktmt14

HSC
Every connection is a valid connection in english, no matter how seemingly weak it may appear. It really irked me cos you can pretty much draw all kinds of crazy conclusions and meanings and stuff that was never intended by the author.
haha true true, just amazes me how teachers pull out random meanings and symbolism. :D

epiktmt14

HSC
Hold up... But I heard from my friend just then that "Of Mice and Men" might be on of the prescribed texts for some module or something....????? Is this true..?! i hope not..

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
any connection to a text, technique, idea or whatever is vaild so long as you are able to substantiate your arguement with relevant quotes and an in depth analysis.

your related texts dont need to have the same ideas as romulus - by that i mean your related texts dont need to all be about migration. if they share similar concepts such as a connection to person or place they should work well in your essay. even if they arent the same your essay requires you to both compare and contrast so it should work for you there

if you know one of the texts you want to do for a related might be another prescribed text its best not to do it, esp. if you are an advanced student and the text is a standard prescribed. go to the board of studies website and print off the prescriptions - that should give you an idea of what texts NOT to do as a related.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hold up... But I heard from my friend just then that "Of Mice and Men" might be on of the prescribed texts for some module or something....????? Is this true..?! i hope not..
No, Of Mice and Men isn't on the Syllabus. You are free to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)