• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BATTLE ROYALE バトル・ロワイアル! (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

AtticusFinch said:
"shit what am i doing????? whack"
Hahahah, yeah.

I first saw it without subtitles, when I went over there 4 years ago. Jesus it was fucked. The whole family was cackling like maniacs.

X

xeuyrawp

AtticusFinch said:
thats warped!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me about it. I maintain that the entire country is warped. Have you ever seen the simpsons episode where Homer's Japanese toilet has a camera in it? One of my friends said he went to a sex hotel there (what can you do, he's horny), and the entire hotel room was rigged with cameras, which linked to the 4 or 5 TVs, one of which was in the toilet bowl.

The sex hotel is a great idea, but very Japanese. You drive in, in your car, and as you get into a parking space, a curtain closes behind your car, so nobody sees you getting out of it. You then get your own little corridor and then pay for the room through either a kind of ATM, or a black screen. Other person does the same thing. Very, very rank. I mean, at least here, you know you're paying for a professional hooker.

Edit: forgot to mention my favourite. As you have probably heard, the jidohambaiki, the vending machine, is everwhere. You go up to the ones in the seed-bag district, and you can buy used school-girl's underwear. Of course, these machines are totally black, and some are marked as selling food, so the businessman doesn't get ashamed.

Last edited by a moderator:

walrusbear

HSC
artheterosexual said:
check this movie out
i've wanted to see ichi the killer for a very long time
it's finally out on dvd here too

has anyone seen any other Takashi Miike movies??
i saw Audition for the first time a week ago, which was high quality

X

xeuyrawp

Argonaut said:
Battle Royale and Contest (soon to be a film, hopefully) sound fairly similar ...

Battle Royale - schoolkids have to kill each other on an island for freedom.
Contest - a doctor and his daughter are trapped in a library with seven aliens, six of which are out to kill each other and the other one out to simply kill, and the last one standing is the winner of a tournament.
That type of story is very, very popular.

Apparently, the earliest form of the "Free for all" story comes from the Greek story of some Babylonian people who all told to fight each other in this fortress. I'm sure that was stolen from something else, though.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hmm.. I bought into the hype and was disappointed. Also I found myself a tad confused at the bit towards the end where Takeshi's character seems to die.. then comes back to life to take a phone call, before dropping dead again.. help anyone?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Benny_ said:
Hmm.. I bought into the hype and was disappointed. Also I found myself a tad confused at the bit towards the end where Takeshi's character seems to die.. then comes back to life to take a phone call, before dropping dead again.. help anyone?

hahaha alot of people weird out watching japanese films... the conventions are completely diff

X

xeuyrawp

AtticusFinch said:
hahaha alot of people weird out watching japanese films... the conventions are completely diff
I think the society is just different. The result is a tonne of their films resembling Tarantino's whacked style.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think the society is just different. The result is a tonne of their films resembling Tarantino's whacked style.
except cooler

scoby_2000

HSC
wow what a coincidence....i was just about to start a thread about this film coz i happened to take it from worrk (i work at blockbuster) just randomly!!!

i got both the 1st and 2nd one (supposeably there is a third set in the future or something) but yea the first one i thought was awesome. ive never really been into asian film with hyperbolic violence and guts but i must say i just loved the idea (of the first one). the 2nd one....though still a cool idea i thought the acting of Takuma (the main guy who has to play the game) was so bad it wasnt funny....he only had one face to give it seemed and that was "im angry....!" but yea still cool!

i would recommend the first one 2 like people who like the violence from kill bill and anyone (who like myself) just wants to see every film in their video store :D (im over half way!!!) :D....id recommend the 2nd one for someone who had nothing else 2 do :D

HSC
Battle Royale is one of the best favorite Asian Extreme movies! so violent but so moving! hmmmm what else was so good about it??
masanobu ando as the psychotic kiriyama, kou shibasaki as mitsuko (she was gr8!), chiaki kuriyama, the guys who played hiroki and mimura (i heard they were gay- is that true?)
shuya and noriko's story was sweet too................
sad that the second movie was crap- i havent watched it yet but so many ppl say it was dissapointing. also doubly sad is that the director died during filming of the second movie. sigh.

fantasia

HSC
Benny_ said:
the director just wanted the audience to be like 'wtf' for one last time in the movie. I mean the whole situation in BR is totally absurd and the director wanted to emphasise that at the end.

watch the directors cut version and you'll get to understand the charachters abit better. Especially why mitsuko is the way she is. (she got sexually harassed(raped?) by her stepdad when she was younger) thats why she is pretty violent sexually. And in the directors cut theres an emphasis on how she never had any real friends and how she was always the 'loser' (which was mentioned in her awesome death scene), thats why she thought BR could be her first chance at winning.

Out of all the girls, she was the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)