• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Business (Accounting) (1 Viewer)

gedddy

HSC
hi, last semester i was doing this course. what course were you doing last semester and the units you undertook?

wakeywakey

HSC
N/A
Hey Rabbit,

I'm about to start this course, as you are, but I think I can help clarify some things:

* In Accounting we have 8 electives. To be able to qualify as an accountant we must do 3 specific electives, they are: MG102A Management Foundations, 200183 Law of Business Organisations and 200187 Taxation Law.

* This leaves you with 5 electives. You can choose whatever unit you want to do, so long as you satisfy the prerequisites. I'm not sure what people do with these electives, but you mentioned "majors and submajors" so I think I can explain this. One simple way to explain the difference between a major and submajor is to say that you must complete more units in a major than a submjor. Looking through the course structure link you gave, a major requires 8 units and a submajor requires 4 units. That means within the 3 year duration of this course, you can have a major in accounting and a submajor is something else.

* So, you can choose to use your electives to add a major or submajor to your name, but I don't think you need to do that (but of course, you'd consult the coordinator or whoever to talk about what you want out of your degree, first; nothing hasty). In the end, you must pass all your units, including your electives, to complete the course.

And that's how I've come to understand it all :)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
yeah, i was hugely confused about this also. but umm luckily/unluckily for me, i failed business law last semester, so im redoing it this semester, so im not worrying about doing that elective til next year.

if you go to webct, go to the School of Accounting Information Site bit. and theres a list of appropriate electives accounting students can choose from. to enrol, you go to the uws home page, click on "forms" and print a "program variation" form. fill it in, with the elective you have chosen to add, and go to your student centre and give it to the people in there. im pretty sure thats how you go about doing things.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
wakeywakey said:
* This leaves you with 5 electives. You can choose whatever unit you want to do, so long as you satisfy the prerequisites. I'm not sure what people do with these electives, but you mentioned "majors and submajors" so I think I can explain this. One simple way to explain the difference between a major and submajor is to say that you must complete more units in a major than a submjor. Looking through the course structure link you gave, a major requires 8 units and a submajor requires 4 units. That means within the 3 year duration of this course, you can have a major in accounting and a submajor is something else.

* So, you can choose to use your electives to add a major or submajor to your name,

Oh okay. So if a major requires 8 units, how do we add this major with only 5 free electives? or does the compulsory units makeup the accounting as a major?

Thank you for your help!

wakeywakey

HSC
N/A
RabbitRabbit said:
Oh okay. So if a major requires 8 units, how do we add this major with only 5 free electives? or does the compulsory units makeup the accounting as a major?

Thank you for your help!
No problems!

By "or does the compulsory units makeup the accounting as a major?", do you mean that by doing the compulsory units and the "compulsory" accounting electives you'll have an accounting major? If so, I think yes. But because you must do 8 electives all up to actually complete the degree, you won't have a major because the requirements for your degree weren't met -- hope that made sense, and I hope I'm right -- it makes sense to me, anyway :p

As for only having 5 free electives, when another major (because "accounting" is already a major, I think) requires 8 units, that can be explained by saying that you will need to spend a semester or two more than the three year duration of the course to complete that extra major.

But, some majors, like Finance Law, require units that you would have already done, such as: Introduction to Business Law, Taxation Law, and anything else I missed, to complete the major. So, for the Finance Law major, you might be able to complete the "accounting major" and the Finance Law major within the three years -- it just depends on what major you want to do.

And, one more thing I want to add: you can also do a unit during the Summer session (January-February, I think) if you're eager and willing to do the work -- this might reduce the number of years/semesters that you'll need to complete your majors or submajors.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
wakeywakey said:
No problems!

By "or does the compulsory units makeup the accounting as a major?", do you mean that by doing the compulsory units and the "compulsory" accounting electives you'll have an accounting major? If so, I think yes. But because you must do 8 electives all up to actually complete the degree, you won't have a major because the requirements for your degree weren't met -- hope that made sense, and I hope I'm right -- it makes sense to me, anyway :p

As for only having 5 free electives, when another major (because "accounting" is already a major, I think) requires 8 units, that can be explained by saying that you will need to spend a semester or two more than the three year duration of the course to complete that extra major.

But, some majors, like Finance Law, require units that you would have already done, such as: Introduction to Business Law, Taxation Law, and anything else I missed, to complete the major. So, for the Finance Law major, you might be able to complete the "accounting major" and the Finance Law major within the three years -- it just depends on what major you want to do.

And, one more thing I want to add: you can also do a unit during the Summer session (January-February, I think) if you're eager and willing to do the work -- this might reduce the number of years/semesters that you'll need to complete your majors or submajors.
edit: its doing Law of Business Organisations and Taxation Law, which effectively leaves you with 6 electives and you may complete the finance major without falling outside 3 years of completion as 2 core units in the finance major coincides with the accounting major.

tubtub

HSC
hey guys, i got a question. if u fail "introduction to business law", then is it u cant proceed on to do "law of business organisation", which is an elective for professional recognition. just wondering, cause i picked corporate financial management this spring.......im not sure if it is right. the handbook says "as planned in spring 2006".

theone123

blue essence
HSC
tubtub said:
hey guys, i got a question. if u fail "introduction to business law", then is it u cant proceed on to do "law of business organisation", which is an elective for professional recognition. just wondering, cause i picked corporate financial management this spring.......im not sure if it is right. the handbook says "as planned in spring 2006".

no, for tax law, yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)