• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Aussie values? (2 Viewers)

mggail

HSC
I think that the idea of a ‘Fair Go’ is incredibly important to Aussie’s; it is linked to our love of the underdog and more importantly, our custom of a multiculturalist’s society. Look at America, they dont have a multicultural policy, immigrants there are expected to comform with the "American Life"while here we respect people's cultures, okay so not everyone does but still the marjoity of Aussies are proud to uphold these values.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Tall Poppy Syndrome

We love to bring them up, then tear 'em down...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
fair go mate

we should take smart wealthy people's money and give it to me for not working

fair go mate

murphyad

HSC
fair go mate

we should take smart wealthy people's money and give it to me for not working

fair go mate
Uh, yeah.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, multinational business executives get paid up to 90 times more than the average employee, certainly not for doing 90 times as much work. Does that sound fair to you?

And might I remind you that not everyone is either wealthy or a bludger, so why don't you stop with your false dichotomies and post something slightly more relevant.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Uh, yeah.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, multinational business executives get paid up to 90 times more than the average employee, certainly not for doing 90 times as much work. Does that sound fair to you?
Sounds pretty fair tbh. They would do greater than 90x the level of productive capacity of the average employee, and are the reason those people have jobs in the first place.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
We loathe wealth and success. We want the government to babysit us from the cradle to the grave.

We're an intellectual backwater with a complete lack of direction. Australia, land of the sodomite damned.

murphyad

HSC
Sounds pretty fair tbh. They would do greater than 90x the level of productive capacity of the average employee, and are the reason those people have jobs in the first place.
Well superficially, it would seem fair.

However, consider this: General Motors' CEO earns a salary in the millions - up with the 90-times higher benchmark I used earlier. However, the CEO of Toyota, which is actually the larger company, earns less than 1 million US per year. I doubt that the average workload of the two CEOs could be much different - I might be wrong, but I think that it's highly unlikely. Above all, this points to the fact that the salaries of CEOs, especially in the 'Western' world, are often fairly arbitrary and do not reflect the actual level of productivity of those higher levels of management - hence the reason they vary so widely.

Another topical point is that many American business executives were paid bonuses during the GFC's darkest hour (as we have all heard before) and thus those huge monetary windfalls could hardly be said to be the result of a higher level of productivity. In fact, business executives are not paid so highly in America and Australia simply because they are productive, but often as an incentive to remain with that particular organisation.

Anyway, back to the point. The fact is that my previous post was meant to suggest that this uneven wealth distribution was arbitrary and unfair, and thus that altering this would be an example of the 'fair go'. Its not really got that much to do with australian values at all, apart from that it would presumably be an 'Australian' thing to do if one were to change it.

Last edited:

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well superficially, it would seem fair.

However, consider this: General Motors' CEO earns a salary in the millions - up with the 90-times higher benchmark I used earlier. However, the CEO of Toyota, which is actually the larger company, earns less than 1 million US per year. I doubt that the average workload of the two CEOs could be much different - I might be wrong, but I think that it's highly unlikely. Above all, this points to the fact that the salaries of CEOs, especially in the 'Western' world, are often fairly arbitrary and do not reflect the actual level of productivity of those higher levels of management - hence the reason they vary so widely.

Another topical point is that many American business executives were paid bonuses during the GFC's darkest hour (as we have all heard before) and thus those huge monetary windfalls could hardly be said to be the result of a higher level of productivity. In fact, business executives are not paid so highly in America and Australia simply because they are productive, but often as an incentive to remain with that particular organisation.
Cool, don't buy their products, then. Don't bail them out, then.

Anyway, back to the point. The fact is that my previous post was meant to suggest that this uneven wealth distribution was arbitrary and unfair, and thus that altering this would be an example of the 'fair go'. Its not really got that much to do with australian values at all, apart from that it would presumably be an 'Australian' thing to do if one were to change it.
So the notion of an Australian fair go is a homogenous society where each worker is allocated one AM radio by the chief bureaucrat? Fuck that, I'll take selfishness and self-interest any day over that.

Companies should be able to pay people whatever they want. A government intervening to put caps on pay or tax people punitively is this disgusting soak the rich tall poppy shit that contributes to the fact that we are an economic and cultural backwater.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
this thread?
aussie values my ass.

white power supremacist Dick Smith has a point.
arsies havent been buying more australian made.
well you pay more but it seems unless you are a pensioner or welfare-dependant.

i bet that cotton shirt you got there is made in china.
be a racist bitch and not even realise your domestic dwelling contains foreign imports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)