• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ASCII Table (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Enak is a user on the forums as well and a friend, in his independent sdd paper he was given questions with assumed knowledge of knwoing the exact ascii values for each thing, is this actually assumed we know all 128 characters in the ASCII table? if it is it's BS!!!

SamD

HSC
N/A
You don't have to know all the ASCII codes. It can help to know that A is 65 and a is 97, but not the rest.

(I coordinate all the independent SDD and IPT trials so it must have been another paper!)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by SamD
You don't have to know all the ASCII codes. It can help to know that A is 65 and a is 97, but not the rest.

(I coordinate all the independent SDD and IPT trials so it must have been another paper!)
ok i just checked it was the 2002 independent trial found on this site...

ok and wat was assumed was

"it was required knowledge of particular control characters"

Popo Nana

I'm leaving this one alone. Mind you, this has gotten me thinking...

It wouldn't be so bad if you had a computer in the room with which you could press Alt+???. Then at least you could check if you're right.

saves.the.day

HSC
Originally posted by SamD

This is a very excellent idea. As from here, you may work out where the other letters are.

fatmuscle

HSC
32 = space

you're assumed to know

SPACE, A-Z, a-z, 0-9
and knowledge of what type of characters are
0-31 on the ascii table.

SamD

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
ok i just checked it was the 2002 independent trial found on this site...

ok and wat was assumed was

"it was required knowledge of particular control characters"
Well I've just had a look, and some knowledge of ASCII is needed for Q23(b) and also for 25(a). 25(a) gives you the necessary codes in hex and expects you know that letters appear sequentially. Depending on your answer, 23(b) may require knowledge of the codes for A-Z, a-z and 1-9. In hindsight we should have provided these codes in a similar way to 25(a). I can't see where you need to know control characters.

In the HSC I would expect the question to give you any ASCII codes needed, such as CR=13, LF=12, if they were in fact really needed. Generally in an algorithm this sort of detail is not needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)