• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

as bad as law school leeches - bum or bossy/domineering groupwork partners (1 Viewer)

dissipate

HSC
N/A
we're having lots of group presentations this semester and while there are no bums in any of my groups, i've had it with bossy/domineering people who insist on rehearsing a 20-minute presentation for 2-3 hours, who insist for silly reasons on business suits for that presentation, who flood mailboxes with "reminder" emails to do this and that, who are nasty to the group members they think might be poor presenters.

:mad1:

how on earth do you deal with people like that?!

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
It's best (in my experience) to just smile and nod. Reply to their emails, do as much rehearsal as you want to and then just be "busy" from then on. Wear a suit if it shuts them up :p
I know how you feel with wanting to tell them to back the hell up but it's much easier to just ignore the problem and hope they're not in your group next time.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
what is worse is that HR in law firms expect you to raise all these situations about how you functioned effectively in a team situation at uni. I don't see the relevance of these behavioural style interview questions, because it's so subjective, I mean what is stopping someone making elaborate situations pre-interview.... The reality is that most group work in uni is not functional due to the various personalities and individuals within the group. It doesn't really detract from an individual's team skills if they can't function within such teams.

Last edited:

dissipate

HSC
N/A
474645 you're one heck of a tolerant person. i'm just about to explode because that particular presentation is worth only 25% while on the same day i have a 60% assignment due, and the group member knows it. plus more silliness from that person which i have not mentioned here. ugh. UGH.

mac, i agree. anyway the whole thing ridiculous in the sense that people can just bullshit and lie about a "horrendous" team situation which they helped make right and then got a HD for. bah.

RTTTYTR

HSC
Is the problem that there are more pressing (important) concerns with other subjects or a matter of complacency? Whilst some members may be happy with a mere pass in the presentation, that is hardly fair on someone who wants to put the effort in only to be let down by the other members of the group.

If its a matter of more pressing concerns then that would be the priority, but if it comes down the laziness, then I would say that the problem individual is the sloth.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i've been having a pretty bad experience with a group member doing a moot in a group of 3. this moot is part of the assessment in a postgrad LLM course.

he has done so many things to piss me off. arriving 45 minutes late to a group meeting at 8:30am, calling me by the name of another group member, not knowing the difference between an invitation to treat and an offer, thinking he is top shit because he graduated in law at the university of bangalore (wtf is that..).

we're kinda screwed for our moot coz i copied-pasted his submissions and mine together without giving a damn whether it follows. i've asked the lecturer to mark separately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)