• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Area between 2 curves helpppp (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
With these types of questions, draw out (or picture) the graphs and determine how you can find out the area (usually it's just partialising the area depending on point of intersection). Then, it's all on your algebra for the following integrals.

pHyRe

HSC
You can't do difference of two functions for this one. You must break it up as one area from 0 to 1, then from 1 to 3.

phew, i was looking at that previous solution thinking i musta forgotten all my maths. lol

HSC
hey carrotsticks how do u know its from 0 to 1 and 1 to 3? can u plz explain plz thanksss

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
hey carrotsticks how do u know its from 0 to 1 and 1 to 3? can u plz explain plz thanksss
Because according to the diagram, they intersect at some point. Solving the two curves simultaneously, x^2 = 1/x^2 and the solution is x=1.

So from 0 to 1 for the y=x^2 curve (as per the diagram) then 1 to 3 for the y=1/x^2 curve because the question gave 3 as the upper limit.

pHyRe

HSC
adding on to what carrot said, normally you would take the top curve minus the bottom curve to get the bit inbetween. But you can't really determine which curve is on top of the other in the area specified, right? So you have to break it into sections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)