• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another course cancelled... (1 Viewer)

Gabs

HSC
N/A
Is it just me or are other people becoming frustrated at all these course cancellations?

So far, UWS has cancelled 4 of the courses which I have applied for.

Including B Aboriginal Studies, B Education, B Environmental Science and management and today I got another letter telling me that B Social Ecology has now too been cancelled. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with these sudden cancelations - I wouldn't be as harsh if they would have informed me before the Main Round closing date.

Hopefully I may be able to change my preferences and hope for the best for the Late Round. And I sincerely hope that this will be the last course cancelled in these abrupt cancelations.

And just a Question regarding cancellations - Does anybody know why UWS has cancelled so many courses? I remember reading a list of cancelled courses and UWS is the second largest Uni for cancellations, behind University of Canberra.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
so, what, essentially you only have 5 UAC preferences for the main round?
Thats bullshyte, they shouldn't be able to do that!!

= Jennifer =

HSC
i can not believe that uws is playing with peoples lives like this (sorry if anyone gets offended) but look, they should have given you advanced notice!!! this is an outrage!!! maybe you could rely on your other prefs to get you into uni

goodluck

Gabs

HSC
N/A
lol no I explained that confusingly.

B Aboriginal Studies, B Education and B Enviro. were cancelled before the main round closing date. So I was able to change my preferences.

I was just shocked when I recieved the letter telling me that B Social Ecology was cancelled, after the main round closing date. (and it was the course I was looking forward to too). That means that I am one preference down and they told me to change my preferences for the late round and hope for the best. I just hope I get into one of my course preferences :-|

It just gets abit daunting when every course you want to do gets cancelled... :(

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I assumed it would have been lack of demand of the course rather than government funding, esspecially to cancel a course this late. As much as I dislike the Libs you can't blame everything on them, UWS sound have informed people of this before the 6th, or at least offered some kind of compesation - like entrance into a similar course at UWS for those whom really wanted social ecology, or even intoa generic arts degree so they could move out later. I't's poor management on the Uni's behalf.

Gabs, I know UTS and the University of Wollongong both offer Social Ecology as degrees, both have UAI's under 78 for 2004 if I recall right... maybe try them? Contact UoW too, because they quiten often force offers, explain your situation and see if they can get you a late round offer. UTS is a bit less flexibility and the social life is crap, but the course is suppose to be pretty good..

Gabs

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all your advice guys. Yeah I too am beggining to think it was cancelled due to lack of demand. However I applied for other courses as well (such as the BA and B Science.. and more). I'm interested in becoming a Secondary Arts and Humanities Teacher - but my UAI is a few points short of the BA, and Social Ecology was a Science and Arts subject so I thought it would be fun to try - and then transfer to the BA later on.

I've been given an offer through direct enrollement (Unitrack) and I've accepted the offer, but its fees are quite high and I was hoping for a HECS offer. Oh well I'll just have to wait for tommorow and see what happens, and if I don't get an offer I'll try the late round.

[EDIT] oh btw Natstar, I don't think they could have notified students before the main round - it would have been preferred though. I believe that when UAC showed them the numbers of applicants for the main round UWS probably had to cancel it because of lack of applicants. - but still, i think its dodgy management

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeah mate, I get that, but I reckon they should have informed people it would be cancelled before the main round cut off was a bit dodgy and rather unfair. Wait and hope wasn't the best thing the could do...

Still, it's UWS, would have a fair chance of them giving you some kind of compensation (Like I said, entrance into another course) than you would with most Unis... Good Luck.

Gabs

HSC
N/A
Unitrack is basically a 'trial run' of university. UWS has a system where you pay tuition fees to study two units at University, and these units can be in any area. I picked two units in their Arts and Teaching Departments.

This means that I will study these two units for one semester, after which I may pick two more units to study the following semester or a GPA will be calculated. In other words, If I do good in these units (or subjects) - I think thats about a 70 - 80% I will be given an offer into the degree course. Also, what I studied in Unitrack will be credited in the degree.

Its a pretty good program, and you can apply for every semester. I have to pay about $1,200 for my Unitrack so its not a walk in the park where money's concerned. For more detailed information visit http://www.uws.edu.au/about/adminorg/academic/oar/info/admissions/unitrack

Jonathan A

HSC
Gabs said:
Is it just me or are other people becoming frustrated at all these course cancellations?

So far, UWS has cancelled 4 of the courses which I have applied for.

Including B Aboriginal Studies, B Education, B Environmental Science and management and today I got another letter telling me that B Social Ecology has now too been cancelled. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with these sudden cancelations - I wouldn't be as harsh if they would have informed me before the Main Round closing date.

Hopefully I may be able to change my preferences and hope for the best for the Late Round. And I sincerely hope that this will be the last course cancelled in these abrupt cancelations.

And just a Question regarding cancellations - Does anybody know why UWS has cancelled so many courses? I remember reading a list of cancelled courses and UWS is the second largest Uni for cancellations, behind University of Canberra.

It is a pitty. Courses are cancelled because of restructuring. It means some courses will not continue, will retire or are being suspended. The university has many courses, many of which can be done elsewhere. E.g. If you wanted to do Aboriginal studies, you could easily do the same units in a Bachelor of Arts or B of Social Science and if the course was to re-open, you could transfer into, recieving credit for the units you have already done.

Cancellation occured also because of funding, some courses no-one is applying for and there is no point having a course coordinator, committee, and administration team for a handful of applicants (who may not even become students). This is always a problem as the university doesn't know numbers until after the deadlines when people apply.

Do also note that the UAC application process and the universities reserve the right to change courses and cancel them. Speak to the UAC about it. I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan A

HSC
natstar said:
blame the gov for the lack of funding

Government is putting a lot of money into all our unis. Its a problem we are getting with the management of funds which the government has delegated powers to unis to deal with.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
OOoo.. i was pondering over social ecology before the closing dates for preferences

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'm pretty sure that uws is entitled to cut courses without letting you know. It happened to me last year. I wanted to do social ecology and it was like my second preference but i didn't find out that it was cut until the offers came out.

You can thank our friendly government for all the screwing around thats happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)