• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another Combined Law transfer question! (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
Hello guys!

Sorry for my ignorance but is it possible to actually transfer to a combined law course at a certain university (e.g. commerce/law at USyd), having completed the first year of the same combined law course at another university (e.g. commerce/law UWS)?

I ask this because all I hear is people choosing to do the non-law course in their first year and then choose to transfer to the combined law course in their second year.

I don't want to take this risk as many have been left without spots in 2nd year.

So yeah, please reply if you guys know :) I appreciate the help! Thanks so much!

izzy88

HSC
Yes it's possible (see the other thread you also posted your question in) :)

I think the only downside to it is that to transfer you need to get as high a wam as possible, and law can be quite difficult for people - some don't want to risk it dragging down their wam. Also, universities in selecting applicants don't pay any attention as to whether they were doing law previously or not - they just look at wam (and uai) of whatever you were doing - no distinction whether you did arts, commerce, law or science etc

rayy_bann

HSC
Thank you so much Izzy for your responses in both posts! They have really helped! :)

izzy88

HSC
Glad it was helpful. I guess the only thing I should probably mention on reflection is that most of my info pertains to USYD. I don't think it would be very different for other universities, but you never know. There may always be slight tweaks between transfer policies (eg I know USYD makes no distinction between people transferring into law from USYD or from another university, there is no preference given of you are already at USYD, however I think unsw may give preference to internal students transferring - or that's what I've gathered from this site anyway).

If you are unsure, you can always call and talk to the law faculty of the law school you may be interested in transferring to. They will be able to give you more specific answers and are generally always willing to help :)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
When transferring, they don't take the difficulty of the course into consideration. You would want the highest possible GPA/WAM you can get. I would say study the other side of the degree, (in your case, Commerce) and get a higher GPA for the transfer. Law by itself is definitely much harder to get a higher GPA in than Commerce.

Also, if you really want to do Law at USyd, don't forget the JD as an option.

rayy_bann

HSC
Oh so that's why people choose just to do the non-law course first because its 'somewhat' easier to get a higher GPA/WAM and therefore be able to transfer into law at a more prestigious university. Ok I get. But i seriously don't want to take the risk. I'm actually happy enough to go a university like MACQ as opposed to USYD/UNSW considering it is more convenient etc. But yeah, I'll try my hardest and if the opportunity comes may way, may go for other universities in my 2nd year. Thanks again izzy88 for input, i'll surely consider enquire about what you said if I choose to really follow that path! thanks Alstah too! Yeah JD is a good option, one more year though, but it I may consider it if i choose in the future to really study in Usyd! thanks guys :)

oasis76

HSC
ohh man, that was like me. i planned on doing comm 1st yr at unsw to transfer internally to comm/law now i reallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy regret not putting buss/law at uts as a higher preference blc im scared i wont make the transfer. its such a risk which i dont know why i took it. now im realllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy hopong so hard i get into uts law in the late round. my ATAR's above the cutoff, what are the odds ill get the second round offers?

xrachelx

HSC
N/A
This is very unfair. It is a lot harder getting good marks in law than in art/comm/buss purely. Wish I could know this earlier :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
This is very unfair. It is a lot harder getting good marks in law than in art/comm/buss purely. Wish I could know this earlier :(
It's not unfair. You made a call - you have to live with the consequences.

oasis76

HSC
anyone know the odds of getting a late round offer for uts buss/law with an atar of 98?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Depends on who drops out and whatnot. It will vary from year to year. If noone who was offered a place drops out, then having 99.95 won't get you in.

xrachelx

HSC
N/A
It's not unfair. You made a call - you have to live with the consequences.
"Unfair" in this case is very subjective. I can live with it. Just want to say if I've known it earlier, I would have dealt with it better.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
"Unfair" in this case is very subjective. I can live with it. Just want to say if I've known it earlier, I would have dealt with it better.
How did you not know that it was easier to get better marks in Comm/Arts, as opposed to Law?

Where are you at the moment - which uni do you wanna transfer into?

xrachelx

HSC
N/A
How did you not know that it was easier to get better marks in Comm/Arts, as opposed to Law?

Where are you at the moment - which uni do you wanna transfer into?
What I didn't know is they would throw everybody into the same basket regardless the difficulty of the course you're doing. My bad of not doing enough researches. Anyway, I’ve made it into Macq Law from UWS. It’s not my 1st pref but it’s good enough tho.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, in cases like this, I would look on the bright side.

Many people go into a degree program which is their second preference with the view of transferring. They either choose a degree program at another tertiary institution that mirrors the one they want to transfer into or they enter a degree program at their preferred tertiary institution but not necessarily lining up with the student's personal interests.

I find that many people talk about getting a WAM of 75+ as a given, as if it is something very simple to do. Some people have trouble adapting to the rigours of university life compared to high school, and as a result may not get that 75+ they were hoping for. Eventually, they graduate with a degree which they never really wanted in the first place and they're stuck with something they may be a bit apprehensive about. As a result, I think you made the right decision in doing Law at MQ rather than just a B.Comm at USYD.

Regardless, if you really want to transfer to USYD, I wish you the best of luck. It's certainly not easy to transfer into, but you seem intelligent enough to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)