• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice...plagarism screw-up? (1 Viewer)

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
ok. help.
today a girl who does pdhpe at my school got an assessment back got 0 for putting a quote in quotation marks but forgetting to reference it.

hearing this i had the terrifying realisation that i handed a creative composition in for english on monday, part of it being an imaginative diary entry (about the holocaust) in which i included a slab of a quote of something that was actually said at the wannsee conference in germany.

it was in italics and quotation marks, and i included the site that i got it from in my bibliography but didn't explicitly reference.

am now shitting myself. will i get 0 under b.o.s rules?
my english teacher has accused me of handing in stuff that she didn't think was mine before (and i was really offended because i spent so long working on it). :(

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

planning to go and see her first thing tomorrow.

ccc123

HSC
carrots please! said:
ok. help.
today a girl who does pdhpe at my school got an assessment back got 0 for putting a quote in quotation marks but forgetting to reference it.

hearing this i had the terrifying realisation that i handed a creative composition in for english on monday, part of it being an imaginative diary entry (about the holocaust) in which i included a slab of a quote of something that was actually said at the wannsee conference in germany.

it was in italics and quotation marks, and i included the site that i got it from in my bibliography but didn't explicitly reference.

my english teacher has accused me of handing in stuff that she didn't think was mine before (and i was really offended because i spent so long working on it). :(

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

planning to go and see her first thing tomorrow.
Just go and see her first thing tomorrow and it should be okay. Don't lister to aMUSED1997,. He's just being...well, aMUSED1997 :p

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Lol, giving 0 for a mistake like that is pretty fucking ridiculous. I'm certain they (at least the faculties I know) wouldn't do that at my school.

cal-

Banned
HSC
what kind of nazi school do you go to? christ

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
buaha they just keep beating on us hoping they'll get the desired result.

it ain't working though.

if it happens to me, what can i say, i'm glad its not more than 10%

what kind of rules does everyone else have? i remember my brother saying that at his school teachers would frequently waiver the late penalty because it made the school look bad. my school would NEVER do that.

cs01001

HSC
At our school, so long as you change the wording a bit, its ok. They have a guideline on corrently quoting sources, figures etc, but honestly no one gives a fuck. Speaking of plagarism, the HSC AMOW Workshop was so BS, everyone passed without reading those bloody Powerpoint slides.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
late = late = 0 (in history they take 25% off each day), but for stuff like that they'd discuss it with you... i highly doubt they'd give 0 if it's only one or two instances, and it's clear that it's just an honest mistake.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
carrots please! said:
ok. help.

hmm yeah.. according to the board's rules, technically the pdhpe teacher can give zero for not acknowledging the source. even though the student has made it clear that the text was not theirs and it was someone else's ideas.

I think that for an assessment task, just to be safe you should use footmarks to say where the quote came from, or even mention it in the text such as "As Einstein once said, 'You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.'." As for a huge slab, I guess the larger it gets the more you should acknowledge the source. Personally, I wouldn't have thought this mattered until uni, but obviously, things are starting to change at high school too. It's a shame that things are becoming more strict, but at the same time, the exact official details of what is permitted and what is not permitted is not very clear. Message to the Board: You can't expect students to know what they should do and what is allowed, unless you give them a detailed policy document, not some dodgy online program that is crap, and some cheep advertising brochures.

But in an exam, I think its poor to expect students to do any more than an inline reference such as shown above. For example, I'm sure that somewhere in the exemplar English responses, students have quoted line from text's, using quotation marks, but not exactly acknowledging the source.

These finer details are not mentioned by the Board, which is why they need more detailed and in depth documents, something which they currently don't have.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
pretty sure they wouldnt do that at my either.
Theyd probably just tell us to not do it again.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
i meant to footnote it but forgot to amid the rush to actually finish..

so true about the shady brochures from the Board. its like they feel they have to talk down to us in order to be clear, which means there's no room for detail..

"all my own work" doesn't really go past explaining the basics

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
hahaha sucks to be that girl i have willingly plagiarised whole pages of info without referencing or acknowledging the source and never been penalised one time i cut two pages off wikipedia put it in italics and correctly referenced it and also got away with that...

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
Hagaren said:
hahaha sucks to be that girl i have willingly plagiarised whole pages of info without referencing or acknowledging the source and never been penalised one time i cut two pages off wikipedia put it in italics and correctly referenced it and also got away with that...
wtf! good marks too?

talked to my teacher, she said not no worry all should be ok :D

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Your PDHPE teacher sounds like a dick, honestly how could they give out zero for that simple mistake. If it was a page of plagerism fair enough, but for a quote thats ridiculous.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Nazi teachers using students to drown their own misery of failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)