• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice needed teacher has lost one of my trial essays (1 Viewer)

salnkat

HSC
N/A
My teacher says he can't find/ has lost one of my trial HSC essays. It was one essay that counted for a significant part of the final mark. So far he hasn't given me any marks for this section . He even told the whole class their marks , including mine without that section. The problem is I have been consistently ranked first and second in this subject for the past three years. My trial HSC exam mark in this subject without that section only ranked me fifth.
Help!!! Does any one have any advise about what I should do? (apart from hope that he miraculosly finds it!!!)

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
.. wait, he lost it, and now isnt substituting or estimating a replacement mark?

salnkat

HSC
N/A
So far he hasn't offered anything. He thought I might have not actually done it. When I said I really had, he said he would look harder for it tonight. I just want to know what they have to do if it doesn't turn up. I don't just want a class average as I have been consistently above average for past couple of years. Has anyone else had this happen, if so, what did you do?

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
The english department at my school is very disorganised. This can be supported when they lost half of the trial standard papers and then accused my friend of not doing it.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Oh BOY!

OK, first thing, if the teacher says he las lost it, did he say this with witnesses? Were there others around who heard him say that or that he would look harder for it?

Also, who collected the exams when you did the trials? Were the papers handed in as a big bunch of paper or individually for each section?

If they were handed in individually, can you remember who collected that essay? Ask them if they can corroborate that you did the essay.

Then you need to write a letter, even a stat dec and get it signed by a JP so that it is admissible in a court of law, stating that you did do that essay and hand that letter in to the school principal (keep a copy of it for your records in case they lose that as well). In the letter, request something to the effect that if the essay is not found that you receive marks equivalent to your best effort or based on an average of more recent exams, or something to that effect.

Losing part of a trial examination in unacceptable and the school should have processes in place to make sure this does not occur. And I would make that very clear to the school as well.

If all that fails and they refuse to give you any marks for the missing essay, I would seek further, more professional, advice (BOS, DET, Lawyer).

HSC
Before you over-react, try talking to your teacher. Outline what you will have to do if the assessment/trial task is not found or satisfactory marks are given. Put a bit of fear into him for his incompetence but be polite, no use getting angsty.
Failing this if you live near sydney I could beat some sense into him for you =).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)