• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Actuary - Job Prospects (1 Viewer)

Ahmad0

Banned
HSC
Anyone have any idea of the job prospects for an actuarial graduate in Melbourne? I wouldn't want to move to Sydney to get a job as an actuary. I don't want to graduate from this course without being able to get a job.

*help*

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
haha, well done for making a topic.. and all i've been doing is pming people :p

BUMP...

ks21

HSC
Well, most financial services jobs are in Sydney. There are a few actuarial consulting firms in Melbourne and a few large insurers. They give preference to Melb uni students (I think) and if your top 10-15 ish (for ppl who wanna get an actuarial job, i.e. not IB or Management Consulting) in your class in terms of all round ability (marks, work exp, interpersonal skills), you will prob get a job. Graduating with Part 2s will improve your chances.

However, you should keep in mind that an actuarial studies graduate is employable across a range of areas, because of your quant skills. Anyway, Sydney isn't that bad, by the end of your degree you will prob wanna move anyway, lol!

CloudStrife

HSC
getting good marks will definitely put u in the running for a job, no doubts about it....but with regards to being employed in non traditional areas, do the employers still look at your actuary exemptions? my grades are crap so i don't have many exemptions. if you get into a graduate program at least they'll train you up for a particular position. my marks are too crap for that even...i feel like im walking into a really deep dead end ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)