• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Accounting: Audit / Consultancy / Tax / ERS / etc.. (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just thought I'd ask if there were many users here on BoS who worked in accounting or other professional services firms...

The big question is: How do you find it? ... or if you haven't started yet, what are your thoughts on it?

... and also because the EY thread was getting long and had a somewhat 'biased' topic name! jkjk...

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I hope this thread crashes & burns...lol jokes

pete_mate

HSC
hehe you cadets are in for a rough ride.

your essentially slaves, you'll be working loong hours, get off at 7 at least

roadcone

HSC
yeah true, but i am thinking of it as a really good opportunity to kickstart my career. as one of the partners said to me during an interview, a cadet is more useful after 6 months than a graduate (because we come in not knowing anything so they can mould us to fit).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ I've heard that too from several ppl... they reckon grads are a bit overconfident or something whereas Cadets can be fitted into the corporate culture.

Btw which firm are you at roadcone?

roadcone

HSC
yeah that was exactly what i was told, combined with the fact that grads reckon they know everything from their 3yr uni course when in actual fact they are good with theory but have no practical skills.

umm ended up taking PKF (over KPMG). where will u be next year?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's interesting^^ I remember the PKF evening where they said if you look outside you can see those 4 big letters staring back... (kpmg)!

Btw I sent u a PM- *doesn't really want everyone knowing; although they can probably figure it out*

roadcone

HSC
haha yes their offices look right into kpmg, rather amusing when being interviewed really because they constantly compare how it is different to work for them as compared to a big 4 'such as kpmg'.

it is a family joke though now because a few members of the family work at kpmg.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol that's the way accounting is I think- people always move around sometime during their career; so it's rather stupid to speak lowly of other firms... although if you look around on BoS- there are a few users who speak lowly of all the other firms, who knows.. maybe you can even figure out who I'm talking about^^ (btw it's a grad not a cadet)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
On a light hearted note...PwC are the only firm with broken neons on the roof! Ironic really. lol.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i work in audit for PwC and i think its awesome. coming out of my first busy season...well...i love it. overtime generally isnt more than til 6 at night, im positive you sydneyers would have it easier cos up here at newy were majorly understaffed. but yeah, i started as a trainee in january, straight out of school, and im glad i did it this way. dont get me wrong, i enjoy my holidays, but i like the nature of the work, the regularity of the work, and the reward ill get at the end of my hard slog :D

ENJOY!

roadcone

HSC
haha sydney is not much better.. my brother returned home from work at 5am a couple of days ago because they had to get a paper together to present to lawyers the following day.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
roadcone said:
haha sydney is not much better.. my brother returned home from work at 5am a couple of days ago because they had to get a paper together to present to lawyers the following day.
thats so much being at a big4 or any big corporation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)