• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

400/500 Law Electives (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Cameron Stewart... sigh... I'm probably not the most objective person to ask. He is my lecturer crush. He has a fantatic mind, sense of humour, is SUCH a great lecturer, really knows his stuff. He takes equity every year; thats where I first fell in love with his brain ;) Not so much the hair (he looks like he's stuck in the 1990s). Health Law is his baby; he ran it every year except this one (because I believe he was either on sabbatical or was being poached by another uni). Any unit with Cameron Stewart running it = 100%

Re: Advanced torts, Penny never put it on line (to the best of my knowledge); we all got hard copies of it. But the topics were: privacy, bullying (school and work), toxic torts (being cigarettes, DES etc), defamation, wrongful birth/wrongful life... thats all I can think of off the top of my head. But the unit is only run every second year, so it wonr be offered again until 2010 :( Which is a shame, and a bit odd, as it is always the top ranking elective after international law.

maka

HSC
My Student Portal isnt the best indicator of who is in charge of units. Either is the MQ Law website which is for many subjects heavily out dated.

But I think if David Spencer isnt lecturer I dont think he would be a tutor unless his whole plan is to allow Lise the opportunity to take control of the unit whilst being able to help and give her feedback on how she is going.

I will probably do it next year. Lise Barry is a very good academic and for that reason, I wouldnt mind if I miss out on David Spencer as the lecturer/tutor.

maka

HSC
I have heard many good reviews about Cameron Stewart too, MJ.

Some of the highest praise has come from other law academics.

maka

HSC
MJ....

From memory, you did EU Law this semester.

What was that like?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Good. I quite enjoyed EU. But the teaching style probably wouldn't suit everyone. I found it okay but I know others who completely hated it and felt like they didn't learn anything. Its two seminars a week run by Roy Baker who is lovely (well, I liked him). He's a pom and really knows his stuff on EU law. I find it nice to be able to watch the news and follow the goings on re: the Lisbon treaty and understand what it means for the EU etc.

And there isn't a lot of reading involved, which is always a plus. But after feedback from my cohort, Roy is going to make the assessments harder next year - sorry!!!

But... I might be wrong, but I think you need to have done Int Law, or be doing it concurrently in order to enrol. I'm not sure - you might want to check that out.

maka

HSC
There is no Int Law requirement just 6 cp.

I read the teaching homepage on the website and it does seem interesting.

But why did the assessments have to be made harder? If anything you should have complained it was so hard that for the next cohort he made the assessments too easy. Just joking... it seems interesting and not overly complex.

maka

HSC
Melsc,

I have actually decided to do Dispute Mgt and Resolution this semester because I am bored of Arts.

Since it makes little (no) difference to when I finish my Arts degree because I am still doing Law, so I will do them later.

My Dispute class is on Thurs at 11am.

Mary Jane:
I am planning on just i-lecturing the Dispute lectures because I need to work on Tuesdays.

I was wondering if you need to attend lectures or is i-lecturing enough.

And does this subject has lecture notes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It looks like David has already left, his staff profile is no longer avaliable and Lise Barry is up for Dispute in the handbook. Oh well at least she is pretty good and the texts are written by him. He is very good at explaining things

:( No David

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
maka, I haven't attended a lecture since... juris. So no, it doesn't matter whether you iLecture it. Yep, there are lecture notes, but david always put them up late (so in that way its best to ilecture it so you have the notes with you).

I'm upset: litigation books are $230 plus course materials :( I dont see the point in buying an early 2007 book when the Evidence Act was changed in late 2007 though? Grrr... I'm sick of being poor!!

maka

HSC
Someone told me it was $230ish for the Litigation books.

Definitely going to try and get them 2nd hand I think.

As a student, you have 3 units to do. $230 is way too much.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hey guys and girls!

Do any of you know anyone who has done the advanced legal research unit? I'm seriously considering doing it over int. human rights law, but I'm not sure how much scope you really have. Can you do it on absolutely anything? Or do you need approval?

And have you seen who the new Dean is? Cameron Stewart! :D I'm trying to think of a reason to visit him... maybe the thesis is a perfect excuse?! If I do it on health law, maybe he can be my supervisor? ;)

iwannarock

HSC
has anyone done these airy fairy law subjects like discrimination and the law? or oz legal history or moral dilemmas and the law?

it seems they dont have lectures but two two hour tutorials. are both tutorials compulsory?

im trying to do subjects that are simple and so i can get a 1 day a week timetable again.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Not sure what the actual workload is like, but if you did Discrimination you'd be with Roy Baker (who also runs EU). He is a nice person, but sometimes his teaching style is... pretty awful. He goes off on tangents, talks over people, thinks aloud etc. Also, he will expect you to do a lot of inclass participation - I did about 7 last semester for EU.

While the two tutorials seem more cruisy, they actually aren't because you need to attend both of them, and pay attention, and actually participate in class discussions!

I'd stick with an ilecture & tute format ;)

iwannarock

HSC
what would happen if i enrolled in law 115?

do i need a certain amount of 400/500 credit points and thus it wouldnt work?

im trying to make a one day timetable again and failing miserably.

all these stupid units have two tutorials and no lectures. and tutes are compulsory and on separate days which ruins everything.

come to think of it 115 has 2 tutorials too.

:confused:

fuck it i may just be a 2 subject bandit this semester and first semester next year instead of the 3:1. ofcourse i could stop being lazy and do 4 this semester.

:santa:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yeah, you can't enrol in 115, because you need 32cp of 400/500-level units.

Did you do dispute management last year? If not, I'd recommend that one. Its tres bien! Plus, its one lecture, one tute, so it could fit in to your one-day plan. Or, I think 436 is also a lecture/tute format.

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Yeah, you can't enrol in 115, because you need 32cp of 400/500-level units.

Did you do dispute management last year? If not, I'd recommend that one. Its tres bien! Plus, its one lecture, one tute, so it could fit in to your one-day plan. Or, I think 436 is also a lecture/tute format.
yep. already doing it.

436 corp governance?

i already tried. it only offers one tute on a wednesday.

it sucks that there are only 3 subjects this semester that offer the 1 lecture 1 tute format.

i've decided to just do litigation and DR.

i will not be a one subject bandit next year.

:(

Tabris

HSC
Abot dispute resolution, the textbook "Essential series" is worht the money, but the casebook and materials is just too much for a thin book, your better off borrowing it......there was 4-5 copies in the library that u can borrow and renew 8 weeks at a time.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
^^ Just make sure you have a copy of both books for the takehome exam. You'll need them to answer most of the multi-choice questions (which are extremely detailed, if Lise has kept David's set, which I'm assuming she has).

iwannarock

HSC
so like litigation is just around the corner.

what a great way to start the semester two assignment fest.

im gonna try and convince myself its like due either wednesday or thursday.

i have a gig on friday too. perfect timing! i need to practice for that too.

begin agis plus article search now! go!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)