• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

3rd year LAW (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yeah, exactly. You're still doing two separate degrees, it just so happens you come out with a 'double' degree.. its all in the name - thats what confuses people. And makes us sound pompus and smart! ;)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
It depends on your major within the arts degree.

Just from a quick peruse, most majors need 18, some need 16. For history, you need 12.

How does it change if you combine with law? I thought you still had to satisfy what you would in a BA ordinarily?
Not too sure to be honest. All I know is that for those that started law this year, they have 12 credit pts at both 200 and 300 level. How does one finish a BA-LLB in time if you have to do more than 12 credit pts of arts at either 2nd or 3rd year?? There's no space in 4th or 5th year.

MJ said:
G2G, I'm listening to const now... What exactly am I supposed to be getting out of this, apart from a history lecture? Is there anything of real substantial interest? Is the first essay on history and the development of the constitution? Gah, I'm hating this so much!!
MJ - I started out loving property and hating const at the start as well (I'm a fan of history, but not Australian const history). I ended up preferring Const and LOATHING property. The first essay is usually on Bill of Rights, or some other topic other than the history stuff..

The course gets quite political...M.Kelly will talk about the time she was working for Gough Whitlam when he was sacked. There was a large contingent of Mac students that were outraged and headed into the city and took to the streets when that happened! I recall reading about the chairman of Clayton Utz doing that. haha.

Some info that you may or may not learn about Const throughout the year:

"Blackshield and Williams" is a great textbook. Plus Const is an area which really puts MQ on the map. Tony Blackshield is considered "God" in the realm of const (he's an Emeritus Professor of Law at MQ - which is essentially a major fuck-off kinda title granted to those that retire from regular teaching but deserve our utmost respect). M. Kelly's supervisor for her doctorate was Blackshield.

Williams was a student of Blackshield at his time at MQ. And coincidentally Williams' half sister (a federal court tipstaff, former MQ medal of law recipient) is taking a couple of the const tutes this semester. So I'd definately recommend going to a McGarrity tute over the one you're not liking.

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I love this thread! :D

BikiniGirl said:
On that note, I wonder if anyone can asist me with some contracts info please? I would be so grateful, essay, notes, exam points, etc.!!!!! Maybe I can assist in return some day?
BarrySymmonds said:
I am wondering if anyone is willing to send me one of last year's essay's so I can get a feel for a good paper going into this year. Either contracts or CLP is fine. I just think I need a feel for other people's styles. I'm really worried about lecturer's comments last year. Is anyone willing to help? I would be really grateful.
Perhaps you shouldnt be questioning whether I am the one capable of being a lawyer, seeing you and your friend 'Barry' only appeared on here looking for notes. At least I can get much more than just a crappy pass in second year law units (thats if you really have done the law units, which I highly doubt), and I do my own work.

Stop being a lazy bitch and do some study; dont sponge off others. You'll make a great lawyer too - no doubt you'll find yourself the defendant in some great defamation or copyright actions.

Bye! :wave:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
BikiniGirl said:
Nice to hear from you again! I hope you are well and truly back on board after the accident.
BarrySymmonds said:
Hi Guys, good to see you all again. Sorry I haven't participated for a while, this year's going to be a real doosy!
a) Who were you from previously? If you don't mind us asking as to ascertain your legitimacy, otherwise we can only assume you've come to troll these forums.
b) Acting like you're old foggies doesn't work when you have people here who have been registered basically since the beginning. It would be very easy for us to ask whether there are any records of your accounts previously from the database etc.

I think these will help either legitimise or push me towards further scrutiny of both your respective accounts. Have a nice day :)

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
Haha it must be some strange whoppa creating new accounts just to spoof people around. I know what you did last summmmmerrr.....mwhahaha, now get em outta here, they are just not welcome :(

^___^
HSC
BikiniGirl said:
MJ: "At least I can get much more than just a crappy pass in second year law units....."

Such as "the clap"!

Toodles! :rofl:
your join date and post count make my pants go ":("

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ok, deleting your posts until you can prove to me that you aren't trolls.

iwannarock

HSC
GoodToGo said:
3rd year is a tough year...and your results will either make or break you (at least for the top tier firms and judicial/govt positions)..
this comment scares me.

i really wanted to say this comment vexes me. i am terribly vexed. but i'm forcing myself to stop saying that.

looks like my time of coasting through law may come to an end. ah who am i kidding i couldn't become one of those hard working law students if i tried.:rofl:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Const is really getting to me, I feel like I'm not getting the point of half the things they are talking about.. I mean, I get it, but it seems so... unimportant, like history. Meh. My tutor is also terrible, I'm going to try to switch to a Kelly tute to get away from "Ale" :rolleyes:

Hearting property though! IWR, are you doing both property and const?

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
Const is really getting to me, I feel like I'm not getting the point of half the things they are talking about.. I mean, I get it, but it seems so... unimportant, like history. Meh. My tutor is also terrible, I'm going to try to switch to a Kelly tute to get away from "Ale" :rolleyes:

Well that's just silly.

Without the stars, how could we have navigated the sea?

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:

yeah i'm doing both.

i have ale :rofl: he didnt even show up to the 9am tute this week. so i was there at 9 30am (ok i was late anyway so i can't complain) to find that the ale dude didnt even show up.

constitution is the criminal law of 3rd year in the sense of quality of lectures and teaching. but atleast cimrinal law had interesting cases etc. this seems to be full of boring stuff. like history (sorry pwar!). i'm guessing its easy to pass but.

property law is reaaaally going to test me. really good tutor. hard subject. she's gonna mark strict. i need to straighten up and fly right. come property law assignment time night before you can expect me on here asking silly questions.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
So how did you third years find...erm 3rd year?

Did you end up liking const more than property in the end, as I prophesised?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Unfortunately, I still want to kill const. Its a horrible, horrible subject if you ask me!

I much prefer property, even though it causes me much stress and headaches. Still looking forward to second semester property though!

I've also heard that const in second semester is Admin law, not const, so fingers crossed that little rumour is true, and hasn't been concocted by some disillusioned students.

Sorry G2G for not loving const. I just cant stand it! Its too theoretical, and not of any interest to me... I want something I can apply, not "pretend there are terrorists - what are the implications for the defence power" *shudders*

I do like Margaret's voice though, although I think she would have been better suited to Play School. Its so wafty, and makes me want to sleep :D

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hmm...well admin made no sense to anyone in our year by the way it was taught. Hence, there's a whole year of LLB students who could be admitted with no idea of admin law!

I think they must've changed property law a fair bit since I did it...cos it really sucked infected balls in my year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)