• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

3rd year LAW (1 Viewer)

iwannarock

HSC
hey just wondering, what subjects should we have enrolled in this year for law.

i've enrolled in constitutional for the year.

do we have to enrol in property 1 and 2 aswell this year?

because if i do that it makes it impossible for me to finish my arts degree this year.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hey, well, I did, and most law students will too because its just how the law degree is laid out.

But, that isnt to say you *have* to do it this year.... I understand that you want to get your arts degree finished.

But think of this: if you dont do property this year, and finish your arts degree this year, what are you going to do next year?? Check the handbook because you might be slightly screwed if you cant do any 400-level law units without first doing property law. If this is the case, all you can do next year is property law, and nothing else. But if you can do 400-level electives without necessarily doing property first, then you'll be fine.

Check the handbook though, unless you dont mind extending your law degree by an extra year.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Here you go, for example, take remedies for next year: http://handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?unitCode=LAW405.

You have to do property before you do remedies, so I'm assuming its the same for each other 400-level law unit. So, if you decide not to do property now, then, be prepared for a empty year next year, and an extra year on top of all that.

It sucks... double check of course because I might be wrong, but I would do property and finish my arts degree next year.

:(

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Well you can leave Remedies for 5th year and do 3 electives for sem 1 next year.

But it's better to get Remedies out of the way in 4th year. So really, you should do property law over const if you could do only 1 (though as MJ said, most people take the 2 subjects concurrently).

I've found it to be advantageous to get as many law subjects out of the way earlier rather than later for employment, volunteer opportunities etc.

Last edited:

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
There is a little more flexibility in the law degree than the handbooks rigid outline reflects... but not much unfortunately.

Give Anne Mcquigen a call as she signs the waivers for law units. For example, I have been given a waiver into contracts and torts while doing the 100 level law units. However, I'll probably be finished my accounting at the end of this year so I have been reassured that I can get waivers if needed for higher law units next year.

Although, they may take into account your GPA and performance in law units thus far before authorising the waiver.

iwannarock

HSC
thanks for the responses guys.

i've thought about it and it looks like i'll add property law and take away the 2 music subjects and finish them next year.

enrolment was up until yesterday right?

but i can still enrol and withdraw for ages can't i i remember changing stuff last semester when i was a week or 2 into the semester.

iwannarock

HSC
alright problem solved.

and i wouldn't be able to do the waiver thing since my gpa in law is at a pass level i think. i'm an awful law student.

now im just wondering, other law students, if you have to do 4 subjects of law this year, that leaves only 4 for your other degree.

i dont know about other degrees, but for arts you need 18 credit points at 300 level (well for some of the arts majors, some need less) which is 6 subjects.

can any of you other finish off your other degree this year?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'm finishing psych this year: I'm doing 16cp of psych (3 units at 4cp each) and 4 law units.

I still have 3cp to use somewhere (probably on an additional law elective) from when I failed stat though.. so really I should be doing an extra 3cp somewhere....

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
I'm finishing psych this year: I'm doing 16cp of psych (3 units at 4cp each) and 4 law units.

I still have 3cp to use somewhere (probably on an additional law elective) from when I failed stat though.. so really I should be doing an extra 3cp somewhere....
this is probably a typo but 3 units at 4cp each is 12cp. im guessing you meant 4 subjects so it'd be 4 psych and 4 law?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
this is probably a typo but 3 units at 4cp each is 12cp. im guessing you meant 4 subjects so it'd be 4 psych and 4 law?
Yeah, I'm sure she meant 3 units at 4cp each.

It sounds like you're unnecessarily overloading iwannarock. A standard load at 300-level for combined law is 12cp of law and 12cp of the other degree at 300-level..

"but for arts you need 18 credit points at 300 level "

That's for an Arts degree, not a combined arts/law degree.

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yeah, 3 units at 4cp each, which equates to 12cp- go my terrible maths skills! :D

It should say in the handbook whether you're supposed to have the same amount of cp in 3rd year as a standard arts degree.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Just wanting to ask a question, and couldnt be bothered searching for the thread g2g created. Basically, with those electives in which you work at a CLC, what criteria do they allow people in on? First in best dressed, or is it a GPA thing?

Hoping its not GPA - first year statistics killed me :(

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Mj, it's selected on the basis of the statement of interest... (about a page in length from memory).

The law journals are GPA based, though even then a good statement of interest could compensate for a less than perfect GPA.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Who the feck are these people??

Property and admin blows. Const is at least interesting.

3rd year is a tough year...and your results will either make or break you (at least for the top tier firms and judicial/govt positions)..

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I agree - who the hell are you? My guess is just random spam... Its a bit of a coincidence they both only have 1 post...

I'm really enjoying property, like loving it, but const is making me want to blow my brains out! Its so wafty and ugh, and my tutor isnt great. Hopefully it will become slightly more exciting...

By the way, do they look at property more than const (or vice versa) or do both matter equally?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Thank you for your bitchiness and sarcasm - you'll fit right in! :)

Most people around here introduce themselves, and integrate themselves into the whole MQ forum because we're all one community, not just subdivided forums. It just seemed a bit odd, as you gathered from GoodToGo and my own comments.

It is especially odd when you sign off on a post.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
hehe. Yes MJ is right, it does seem very strange how you two seem to know each other from this board from a while ago, yet you only have 1 post each. We should get a mod to check if your ip's match, oh i bet they do. By the structuring of both of your posts, methinks your trying to draw attention to your personal life which may or may not be real (perhaps to take advantage of how easy it is for macquarians to go off topic, and making yourself the centre of the topic- thats why i suspect your actually a known member already, to be aware of the macquarian off-topic way, though i wont say who i think it is). Of course i may be wrong and you to are legitimate, but then i doubt that...

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
"but for arts you need 18 credit points at 300 level "

That's for an Arts degree, not a combined arts/law degree.
It depends on your major within the arts degree.

Just from a quick peruse, most majors need 18, some need 16. For history, you need 12.

How does it change if you combine with law? I thought you still had to satisfy what you would in a BA ordinarily?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yeah, you do have to still satisfy the same things still, or otherwise you wouldnt be able to graduate from your BA. All law changes is the fact you do law now - or so I believe - judging by psych.

G2G, I'm listening to const now... What exactly am I supposed to be getting out of this, apart from a history lecture? Is there anything of real substantial interest? Is the first essay on history and the development of the constitution? Gah, I'm hating this so much!! She just seems to rattle on on random topics - at least Anne's transcripts made sense, all Dr. Kellys' consists of is random facts! ;)

p.s. Thank you Jamie! :D

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
Yeah, you do have to still satisfy the same things still, or otherwise you wouldnt be able to graduate from your BA. All law changes is the fact you do law now - or so I believe - judging by psych.
That's what I thought...

So you basically have to chose your major the same way you would anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)