• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (3 Viewers)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
If anyone has sky news they should watch the sky news broadcast that focuses on all the key seats. It's very exciting.

Smithereens

HSC
If Rudd is elected, within 12 months, Julia Gillard will be seconding his idea of "New Leadership".

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I really quite like the political posters around Newtown/Sydney Uni recently.

I thought "Howard Overboard" was quite clever, if anyone knows it. I can't think of the others, but they weren't all hating on Howard if that's what you lot reckon I like it for. And I smile a bit when I read graffiti that's both political and eloquent. It's a breath of fresh air from the random array of letters, or "tags" that you see at bus stops.

Oh yeah, I'm still here :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Newspoll has 52/48

Clifffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff hanger

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I have a Howard Hater badge.

Bought it for the lulz. Then it broke into pieces. I blame the shoddy communist machine that made the piece of crap.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I'm not a Liberal supporter but a great deal of the reasons I've heard for voting Labor from people I've met have been utterly retarded.

Also, I'm still skeptical but I don't know really... I mean... Johnny's all I've really known for PM. What... what happens?!

WHAT HAPPENS?!

I just automatically assumed he'd win because it's what he does. Everyone gets their hopes up about some Labor guy winning (Hey, I really liked Beazley because he had real fire and passion and heart and wasn't this just... facsimile, this groomed... just... nothing.) and it'd fail at the 11th hour.

What the fuck.

I hope I speak for all of us when I say I'm very much not used to the concept of a non-PM John Howard. It whacks with my head.

More than half of my life this guy has been the head honcho. Doesn't anyone else feel as kinda whack about it?
Wacko - Id like to zip in the back door here (because it's due season) and give this post a great big 'me too'

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Has there been a time where the Liberals have had wall-to-wall governments across the country?

LCollins

HSC
Schroedinger said:
I'm not a Liberal supporter but a great deal of the reasons I've heard for voting Labor from people I've met have been utterly retarded.

Also, I'm still skeptical but I don't know really... I mean... Johnny's all I've really known for PM. What... what happens?!

WHAT HAPPENS?!

I just automatically assumed he'd win because it's what he does. Everyone gets their hopes up about some Labor guy winning (Hey, I really liked Beazley because he had real fire and passion and heart and wasn't this just... facsimile, this groomed... just... nothing.) and it'd fail at the 11th hour.

What the fuck.

I hope I speak for all of us when I say I'm very much not used to the concept of a non-PM John Howard. It whacks with my head.

More than half of my life this guy has been the head honcho. Doesn't anyone else feel as kinda whack about it?
Yeah I know what you mean, which is why I'll be glad to be gone of him. I probably would've voted for Johnny last election (if I had a vote), but I find that with this last term I'm really struggling to think of anything positive the Libs have done... seriously.

atreus

HSC
Kujah said:
Has there been a time where the Liberals have had wall-to-wall governments across the country?
apparently, there was "wall to wall" liberal for a few months, but as a result of a state election- the federal election liberal govt had been in for a while. im not sure when that was meant to be tho, but for ppl not to be sure it must have been a while ago.

spiny norman

HSC
atreus said:
apparently, there was "wall to wall" liberal for a few months, but as a result of a state election- the federal election liberal govt had been in for a while. im not sure when that was meant to be tho, but for ppl not to be sure it must have been a while ago.
It was 1969-1970, after the Liberals won a state election in Tasmania, and was broken with a state election in South Australia, I do believe.

The world didn't cave in, at any rate.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well it looks as though it's going to the Great old Labor party.
I'm off to do battle. But, whatever the world looks like in 24hrs, I want you all to know that I love a great deal of you very much and nothing will alter that fact.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/federal-...e/2007/11/22/1195321949364.html?page=fullpage
A Galaxy Poll to be published in News Limited newspapers today shows the election to be a tight contest, with the two main parties tied on 42.5 per cent of the primary vote and Labor leading by 52 per cent to 48 per cent on a two-party-preferred basis.

But sources from both main parties believed that the [57-43] Herald poll more accurately reflected what their internal polling had found.
Interesting.

lala2

Banned
HSC
At the pharmacy yesterday I saw two people wearing Malcolm Turnbull shirts, and I was wondering how do you get this kind of job, or is it purely voluntary?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Two Questions:

1. What happens in the event of a tie?
2. What's to stop people going to multiple polling places in their electorate and casting multiple votes?

I imagine with the last one that there'd be a fine, but even so the ballots are still anonymous so how would they check? :S

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Dumsum said:
Two Questions:

1. What happens in the event of a tie?
2. What's to stop people going to multiple polling places in their electorate and casting multiple votes?

I imagine with the last one that there'd be a fine, but even so the ballots are still anonymous so how would they check? :S
1. If two candidates tie in an electorate, they would do a recount, and if they were still tied I think they'd have to hold that electorate's election again. They might flip a coin or something, though. If you mean a tied House of Representatives, 75-75, there'd almost certainly have to be another election.
2. Your name gets marked off when you get your ballots, and all the rolls are checked by computer, so it'd pick up if you voted more than once. You'd get fined, and if there was a significant amount of multiple voting there would probably be a legal challenge to the result.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Oh ok coz what I remember from the state election was they just crossed my name off in a book :S didn't see much computer action... but I suppose that makes sense (what did they do in the days before computers? lol)

and yeah I meant tied HoR. I can't imagine a tied electorate, that would just be waaay too improbable :p

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Dumsum said:
Oh ok coz what I remember from the state election was they just crossed my name off in a book :S didn't see much computer action... but I suppose that makes sense (what did they do in the days before computers? lol)
I didn't make that clear enough: you get marked off in a book, but after the election they have a computer that scans the book or whatever to check who voted and so on.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
If there's a tied vote in an electorate after a recount, I think there are a number of ways to settle the issue without resorting to the new election. They can declare the one with the higher primary votes the winner, or they can declare for the older candidate.
I know that a second case has once occurred in a Mayoral election, though it was from a foreign country so maybe it doesn't apply here. Just my 2c.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)