• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

200 level electives? (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i dont know what to do (once again:()

i have decided on acst201 for the moment, but fear that it might get too difficult to get a D.

i am also contemplating a stat subject, like stat270(the one after 170), having done a stat related subject now in each of my 3 semesters, i am quite comfortable with stat. but at the same time it might be boring/repetitive.

what i really want to get out of an elective is a marginal gpa of 4. interest (the mathsy type of elective) i have already decided on.

anyone care to share insights on either of these two or related 200 level electives i may consider.

thanks in advance.

^___^
HSC
chem 2something (something to do with environment, no final exam, pre req 14 cp)
elec290 (no pre req)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
acst201 shouldn't be that bad (from memory, considering they give a fair few hds out).
math135 i suspect might be some work (to get a d).

i do not recommend any of the following: acst200, acst243 (no longer offered), econ201, stat271, stat272.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
chem234- i have never done chemistry in hs, after yr 10. so i am not 'comfortable' with it.
elec290- again, i see too many things that i am like wtf! (too many = everything)

thanks though

edit: jimmy, are you doing those subjects and just want to perve on me in class?

and flyin' i have already learnt my lesson in chosing actuarial related subjects. :D i know my place. :p
also with math135, there seems to be a shortage on material, i mean those lecture notes and tute questions is all we have on a week to week basis? no text to refer to, according to the outline.

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
EDCO200
Careers and Work:
Preqrequisites: 12cp

http://online.mq.edu.au/pub/ECDO200/

In short -
1. Project:
up to 45%
due Week 10 Friday 5:00 pm
To pass the unit you must gain at least half these marks

2. Audio of interview:
up to 5%
due Week 10 Friday 5:00 pm

3. Your Career portfolio:
up to 30%
due Week 9 Friday 5:00 pm

4. Your attendance and participation:
up to 20%
(continual weekly participation)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
bscienceboi, what department does that come under?(edit: nvm, read the description more carefully)

it doesnt look like something for me. thanks anyway. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
don't underestimate 135, ive heard it isnt "that" easy.

i may be on the look out for a 200 level unit (but not as a gpa booster.. cos no matter how much study i do, i always get the same grades for non-acst units, except this one time where i did absolutely no study.) anyone know of a "fun", little/no study 200-level unit?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:

and to think that last year i was going to take 135 as an elective due to my desire to continue maths.. i got some sense and changed units. it seemed like a lot of work!

CrashOveride

HSC
flyin' said:

i may be on the look out for a 200 level unit (but not as a gpa booster.. cos no matter how much study i do, i always get the same grades for non-acst units, except this one time where i did absolutely no study.) anyone know of a "fun", little/no study 200-level unit?
why would you take 200 level units if you're in 3rd year ?

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
flyin' said:
any 200lvl bba unit , specifically bba250.... just get a waiver

and acst201 is kinda easy ... most of my friends did better in 201 than 101

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
why would you take 200 level units if you're in 3rd year ?
because i can.. anyways, its a maybe.. depends on circumstances.

doe

HSC
N/A
whatever you do, dont do comp238, really hard content, poorly taught. it was the only subject i got a P in in 2nd/3rd year, and my friend who did it with me got his first (and only) F

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
isnt that numerical computing? aint it meant to be easy =p

and dun do acst300.. cos its hard to get cr or ds.. its looking like my first (and only) pass

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
redruM said:
also with math135, there seems to be a shortage on material, i mean those lecture notes and tute questions is all we have on a week to week basis? no text to refer to, according to the outline.
math 135 goes off the chen notes, which are great summaries but pretty bad as a text. you'll have 6 quizzes throughout semester that may be compulsory (ie contribute to your final mark), depending on who is teaching it. if ron anderson is taking it, steer clear, he's a nazi asshole.

if you're going to do math135/math136 you should really get the stewart book on calculus, its really thorough, all the proofs, heaps of exercices. probably my favourite maths textbook.

its interesting stuff, i dont think the workload is excessive compared to other sciencey units. depends how good at and interested in maths you are.

doe

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
isnt that numerical computing? aint it meant to be easy =p

and dun do acst300.. cos its hard to get cr or ds.. its looking like my first (and only) pass
yeah numerical computing.

if you're good at maths its easy. it should be a math unit, really. there are basically a lot of mathematical proofs that you have to remember. i made the mistake of studying it like a comp unit, when i shouldve studied it like a math unit (remembering proofs and how they are derived, etc). the exam was basically 3 hours of deriving proofs. the content could be quite dry and one of the lecturers would write a page of notes then go 'oh im sorry i got this thing back on the previous page wrong, youll have to change all your notes'. it happened nearly every lecture! the programming wasnt too hard.

howd you go in math237 anyway?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i mite be doing math237 next sem (i didnt do 237 this sem.. i did math300 instead)

^___^
HSC
oh boy

i'm doing math237 next sem as well
looks like i've found someone i can copy the assignments off!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i said "mite". which means mite. i dunno, if i can be bothered...

anyways, you never learn anything by copying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)