• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

1 question!! (1 Viewer)

manavji

HSC
N/A
In my half yearlys.. i got 19/20 for multiple choice... aparently the dumass teacher jus made the half yearly exam outa past hsc papers and stuff... but the 1 question i got wrong from my teacher... is supposed to be given right according to the HSC markers, as my choice was given right on the "online multiple choice database"

however... this is the question... can anyone tell me whats the correct answer giving reasons??..

Q1: A photographer wishes to buy a new digital image-manipulation product. In choosing the product, which of the following statements made by the sales assistant would be important?

Answer i ticked: "A" - This product will process any digital image
Teachers Answer: "C" - A reputable supplier distributes and services this product

i ticked A because ... obviously because hez a professional, he will need a product that can process any digital image as he will be shooting at different locations and will be deading with different software/hardware..

My teacher said, its C because hez a professional and will need his product serviced regularly =S and all that stuff...

but what do you guys think????

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
manavji said:
My teacher said, its C because hez a professional and will need his product serviced regularly =S and all that stuff...
Ask your teacher when the last time any of his software got "serviced". Cars get serviced, softwares don't.

manavji said:
Teachers Answer: "C" - A reputable supplier distributes and services this product
Unless the supplier and author company are the same, the supplier doesn't "service" the software - ie, you don't call your local computer store when you need to find out something about Windows, you'd call or go to the Microsoft website.

C is ridiculous - a professional isn't going to choose a piece of software because its from a reputable supplier (plus, a professional would already know whether the company is reputable) - being reputable doesn't mean it can process any kind of image the photographer wants to.

"Gee....this $2000 piece of software can't process any of the images I took on my camera and will now ruin my career, but thats ok, it came from a reputable supplier".

manavji

HSC
N/A
no no .. by buying digital manipulating product... it means buying a camera... and teacher was talkin about the supplier repairing the camera..

what u said .. is exactly what i said to my teacher... that a professional would know where to get it repaired from etc etc...

but the moron still thought it was C as the right answer.. :S

sunny

meh.
HSC
I have to challenge the wording of the question here:
digital image-manipulation product
That sounds to me like "image manipulation software". A camera wouldn't be a "manipulation product" - cameras don't really manipulate, they strictly speaking just capture.

If this product is a camera, then answer A doesn't make much sense, since a camera wouldn't be "processing images" - it would be the thing creating the images! Making the C the more correct answer.

If this product is software, which seems more logical to me (being SDD, and the wording of the question), then A is the more correct answer, for the reasons I gave above.

manavji

HSC
N/A
hmmm i get what you are trying to say... but wouldnt it make more sense that...

1. he is a professional... so he knows how to repair his own products, or he knows some companies/individuals that do it for him on a cheap price...

2. whats the point of buying a camera if it does not process all types of imagine files? ... like professionals use their cameras to put in effects etc... so that way if he is dealing with many different file formats, and he wishes to put a picture from his PC onto his camera and edit it, it wont process it...

and if you look at it from this manner, then A is more of an appropriate answer rather than C.. because this way, C becomes less important as the word "professional" is used in the question, indicating that he is a professional and hez hooked up.. lol... so he can repair his stuff for cheap, or himself...

this is the main confusion, but according to the HSC markers 2004 i think, A was the correct answer...

hmm confusdd to the max.. lol

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I have to agree with Sunny in that in the context of this question I too believed it was in reference to software, not a camera or hardware device. For this reason, C wouldnt be logical as software does not get "serviced" as Sunny also already mentioned.

Cameras dont edit or modify photos. The software you use on the computer after uploading these digital images is what is used to modify and add effects etc... Forget about camera, i have no idea why you are thinking camera, both you and your teacher have probably misunderstood the question because you assumed that the only thing a photographer buys is a camera... Whatever file format the camera saves can be uploaded to PC... THE FACT that this digital image manipulation product can A: process any digital image is what would be required for any file type that the photographer uses already to be compatible.

Sorry, but your teacher is stupid. He should go look at the official HSC answers and weep in the corner.

JBakaka

HSC
yea i remember doing this question in class. and i have to say, while my teachers not the brightest teacher in the world, he does take his answers from the site
did you tell your teacher to look at the official answers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)