• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

yet another thread about subjects (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Okay, i need opinions on these subjects.

adv.eng
ext.eng
maths
extension maths
Chemistry
biology
physics

total =12 UNITS

OR

adv. eng
maths
ext.maths
chemistry
biology
physics
economics/modern history
Total =13 units

and one more question, which subjects do you think require the most oral presentations?
i'm sure and english would and modern history. any more?

thanks guys

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics would have a few presentations to make to the class... and a few essays....

It's really up to you to choose what subjects you want. It might happen that your subjects end up on the same lines too :( I hope not. If any are on the same lines for you it looks like you have a lot fo back-ups. DO NOT choose subjects because of their scaling.... never, ever do that... or because they are maybe assumed knowledge at university (though doing engineering without physics is hard, but there are catch-up and bridging courses available these days).

I would elect the subjects that you are firstly the best at, can get the highest marks and those that you enjoy. That is how most people would have chosen their subjects. Good Luck an anyway.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Economics would have a few presentations to make to the class... and a few essays....

It's really up to you to choose what subjects you want. It might happen that your subjects end up on the same lines too :( I hope not. If any are on the same lines for you it looks like you have a lot fo back-ups. DO NOT choose subjects because of their scaling.... never, ever do that... or because they are maybe assumed knowledge at university (though doing engineering without physics is hard, but there are catch-up and bridging courses available these days).

I would elect the subjects that you are firstly the best at, can get the highest marks and those that you enjoy. That is how most people would have chosen their subjects. Good Luck an anyway.
well i guess. i'm also good at IPT and SDD related subjects. But they scale so LOW. If i pick them i have to get like a 95+ for those subjects because of their poor scaling. To get an equal mark with for example chemistry i could get 90 and get a better scaled mark then IPT or SDD.

so i guess the subjects i have will have to do. since i would not like to do legal,nor business studies. I've heard of business studies having so much booklets to complete and i find it boring. i Do commerce.
Well i do like a bit of economics genuinely, and modern history i am interested in it.
I don't want to do any languages though. so that kinda rules out a bunch of subjects.

thanks for the advice
i still have 1 week and a bit to think about it. :p

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Have you received your lines yet? I would wait till you recieved them and see what combination fits into the lines. If your still undecided about which ones, it gives you a bit of room to move.

Dont pick due to scaling. Who said you'll even get 90 in chemistry? High scaling subjects can have a negative effect if you dont do well in them. Pick the subjects that you like. You are more likely to do well in them.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
dux&src said:
well i guess. i'm also good at IPT and SDD related subjects. But they scale so LOW. If i pick them i have to get like a 95+ for those subjects because of their poor scaling. To get an equal mark with for example chemistry i could get 90 and get a better scaled mark then IPT or SDD.
Seriously, I cant stand all you year 10s and your scaling. If you are doing a subject you like you are more likely to get a mark of 95+ than getting 90 is a subject you dont like.

Chemistry is not exactly the funnest subject, and unless you actually like science you will hate it. Plus, chemistry is pretty hard, so even though it scales better you are still going to have to work harder to get good marks in the first place.

The second to dux at my school last year did both IPT and SDD and got a UAI of 99.6 or 99.65 (can remember exactly). His other subjects were advanced english, 3 unit maths, modern history and art, which aren't exactly the best scaling subjects (apart from 3 unit maths) and he still did amazing.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Btw, out of your two subject options I would choose the second one, just because you have an extra subject which is not a science, and then maybe drop one of your sciences in year 12.

Unless you are planning to do science in uni, its not a good idea to only do sciences (+ english + maths) because its not a well rounded subject selection.

Also only do english extension if you really love it. I learnt this the hard way, when I chose ext english becasue I needed a 12th unit (and didnt want to do a whole extra 2 unit subject, because I was too busy at that time to do 13 units). Even though I came first in it, I absolutely hated it and it was a lot of work for a 1 unit subject.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
midifile said:
Seriously, I cant stand all you year 10s and your scaling. If you are doing a subject you like you are more likely to get a mark of 95+ than getting 90 is a subject you dont like.
Im in year 10 and its beginning to shit me. That and the constant post about what subjects you should do, people give their advice, and then the OP asks the same question or ignores everyon. If you dont want the advice then dont post.

Cerry

HSC
I hate to be the one to say this for what seems like the millionth time to a year 10, but it obviously doesn't get said enough...
You will always be better off doing well in a low scaling subject than doing badly in a high scaling subject. A 60 in a high scaling subject is never going to beat an 80 in a subject that doesn't scale so well, because to scale down, you usually have to be below the state average, in which case, you were probably screwed anyway. There is no point doing a subject just because of scaling, because if you hate something, it's unlikely that you'll do enough work to get a great mark. And scaling changes every year, anyway, so you shouldn't depend on it to get a good mark.

What do you want to do after school? As midifile said, it's not a particularly well rounded selection of subjects. If you're not looking at science as a career, or you're unsure what you want to do, I'd recommend dropping at least one science, and doing something like history, business studies, or an arts subject instead, to give you a better rounded selection.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I've totally surpassed anything related to subject selections at the moment. The scaling should be over everyone's heads. Simply choose what you like and what you're good at it. Who cares if they scale low.. if your good at it, you will get marked accordingly. If it's scaled high and you do well as well then good for you, but if you do bed then you will be brought down because of it.

Simple.

swathard

HSC
i agree with all the people talking about about scaling!! lol

SCALING DOESN'T MATTER! It is only there to put all subjects on a level playing field, because some subjects are harder than others. For example, biology doesn't scale as well as say, chemistry or physics, because biology is much easier to do well in than chem and physics. Therefore, the scaling pushes chem and physics onto a level that allows it to be fair for others...

and ultimately, everyone is competing for a UAI rank, and so it wouldn't be fair if people just chose really easy, "low scaling" subjects . that's why they have scaling then, to make sure that people who do go for the more challenging subjects can be equal to those who take slightly easier subjects.

i mean, im doing business and legal next year, and these are NOT exactly the best scaling subjects.. but I enjoy them, and I am currently coming first in the year out of 106 in commerce, and I recently scored 100% on my report for the subject. Am I suddenly going to turn around and say, NO im not doing those subjects because they don't scale well, and then go and pick say.. chemistry.. when i asbolutely HATE science, lol?

do you see the logic? i am only telling you this for your own good. i think people should think about it more logically, rather than in a more "greedy" way in terms of what subjects "give you" more scaling, so to speak.

ctpengage

HSC
dude if u want the highest uai do maths 4 unit, english 2 unit advanced, chem and phys for year 12. for year 11 pick something light for the 2 units so u can focus most of ur time on the 10 units u wanna do for year 12. i suggest u only do 10 units for year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)