• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 English Standard (1 Viewer)

Mon17

HSC
Hey guys,

In about 6 weeks i have my end of year preliminary examinations. I was wondering whether i could get some tips on how to approch my study skills with English Standard. Does anyone have tips?

marella

HSC
start studying now! its obviouse and always said but so so so true! make sure you are in a quiet room away from any noise. no music, no distractions because you will be sitting in a room of silence for a period of time. i study best late at night because i cant study during the day, i have to much energy. its silence and maybe do some venn or lotus diagrams, they help you analyse things alot better, trust me im using them for my HSC trials on monday.:)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
f3nr15 said:
dont just learn your essay.
reponses could take the form of an interview, speech or feature article as well.
True. Some people make the mistake of memorising their essays in hopes that their essay will answer the question given in a test. I did it once and learnt my lesson. Markers will also know whether or not a student understands the text they're discussing. Simply putting in a pre-prepared essay wont get you the marks you hope for.

Tips:

- Pay attention in class

- Write down any notes your teacher writes about the text you're studying

- Actually read/watch the text (i know a lot of people don't bother)

- While reading or watching your text - write down points, which can be useful - later: techniques, structure etc.

- When given an assessment or test: Read the question a few times so you completely understand what it's asking.

- Look at the criteria: what do teachers/markers expect from a good answer? Follow it and structure your essay/creative writing in that way.

- If you have any questions or need help with understanding your work always ask your teacher for clarification.

Good luck :D

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I go around "quote-hunting" in my texts.
For my AOS Physical Journeys text (Away by Michael Gow), the repetition of "I'm walking" is more relevant than having a "tent peg through your skull" as a quote to be used related to Physical Journeys.

So I pretty much met most of the criteria you mentioned.
I just hope I can make it to the top two percent of the English Standard cohort that consists of roughly seven hundred students getting a band five.

I've also learnt in English to write numbers as words, not only should you do that, it even helps extend the length of your responses a little.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
f3nr15 said:
I go around "quote-hunting" in my texts.
For my AOS Physical Journeys text (Away by Michael Gow), the repetition of "I'm walking" is more relevant than having a "tent peg through your skull" as a quote to be used related to Physical Journeys.

So I pretty much met most of the criteria you mentioned.
I just hope I can make it to the top two percent of the English Standard cohort that consists of roughly seven hundred students getting a band five.

I've also learnt in English to write numbers as words, not only should you do that, it even helps extend the length of your responses a little.
I did Michael Gow's "Away" in year...because i was in the advanced class. It was weird when our class went to see the production because we were the only year 9s there.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I didn't like studying it either....got pretty damn boring :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)