• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Xmas Casuals (1 Viewer)

HSC
Is it fair to say that if I apply for an Xmas Casual position pretty much anywhere, it's basically too late?? I know for Myer and Coles it is but does anyone have any suggestions where I can apply and get a job by Xmas?? :confused: Or am I just wasting my time?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
most of the major retailers have probably hired already for Xmas casuals, but it doesnt hurt to keep your eyes open, apply for Woolies/Coles/Myer/DJ's anyway, whats the harm? then keep ur eye open in the papers (I recommend My Career section on Wednesdays in the SMH under Retail)

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
what is the christmas casual period anyway? End of November to January?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
kate_is_me said:
what is the christmas casual period anyway? End of November to January?
well, judging by all the Christmas decorations in store now, more like start of november to end of january

HSC
townie said:
most of the major retailers have probably hired already for Xmas casuals, but it doesnt hurt to keep your eyes open, apply for Woolies/Coles/Myer/DJ's anyway, whats the harm? then keep ur eye open in the papers (I recommend My Career section on Wednesdays in the SMH under Retail)
thanks mate i shall keep an eye out for them. I don't get the SMH but I'm sure there's a section like that in the Telegraph.

:santa:

vg_woz_here

HSC
xmas casual recruitment begins aug- sept coz they want u to start well before december begins.

but a lot of stores are recruiting now. so you have to be quick. coz ur not the only one finding a job out there

Skeeta

HSC
Yeah definitely, Everyone has just finished HSC and university are on holidays so it will get REALLY hard if you leave it too late.

A girl at my work came in just before her last exam (HSC) and got the job. Since then we've had about 15 people aplly but we're full up now.

"Chubby"

HSC
i was at centro bankstown today and there were a few places taking casual people (not xmas casuals) but some of them needed retail exp.

Season

HSC
I got hired by Cotton On like about a week ago, even though the Christmas period has already started, my contract says its starts on 31 of Oct. and through to the 31st of Nov. Just keep on applying everywhere you can, it can't hurt.

HSC
No luck yet. I also failed to mention that I'm looking for my first job. The last thing I did was work experience for a week in Year 10. So I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I think i'm in the same position as you iheartpaulfrank.

However you can't say this has been your ONLY experience in work can you? I'm sure you would have done a few volunteer activities (even if its for say your sporting/recreational team) or was involved in extra-curricular activities in school which involved the community or beyond the school grounds at least.

HSC
bobness said:
I think i'm in the same position as you iheartpaulfrank.

However you can't say this has been your ONLY experience in work can you? I'm sure you would have done a few volunteer activities (even if its for say your sporting/recreational team) or was involved in extra-curricular activities in school which involved the community or beyond the school grounds at least.
Bobness, as sad as it sounds, I honestly cannot think of anything I've done that would come under volunteer work. [ooohh deeaar] I'm anti-sport so a BIG no there. Didn't do any extracurricular stuff in school either.

I'd better do some volunteer work to help my community!

So you're looking for your 1st job too? Good luck. :)

"Chubby"

HSC
bardot in parramatta westies is looking for casual people and my friend just put her resume in tightrope liverpool westies yesterday.

HSC
Bardot at Parra?! Are u sure they don't need people with experience cos I have none, unless you include Year 10 WP.

:wave:

Skeeta

HSC
just apply EVERYWHERE

if you make a good impression your lack of experience may not be so much of a big deal

sarevok

HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
Bardot at Parra?! Are u sure they don't need people with experience cos I have none, unless you include Year 10 WP.
what you'll mostly be looking for is retail jobs
experience isn't exactly required for the lowly sales peon position, trust me

"Chubby"

HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:

:wave:

i honestly cannot remember if the sign said experience required or not.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
Bobness, as sad as it sounds, I honestly cannot think of anything I've done that would come under volunteer work. [ooohh deeaar] I'm anti-sport so a BIG no there. Didn't do any extracurricular stuff in school either.

I'd better do some volunteer work to help my community!

So you're looking for your 1st job too? Good luck. :)

maccas r always in need of people XD

a lot of volunteering opportunities r coming up:

world vision christmas angel
life education gift wrapping
red cross blood donation
st vincent volunteering

etc.etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)