• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which Course? (1 Viewer)

allGenreGamer

Below are some of my dream jobs :p :

- Video/computer game design and development
- Creating special effects for movies etc. via computer

Now for some questions relating to my dream jobs:
- Can someone plz tell me which course I should be considering for UNI, and wat kind of UAI I would need (for the best uni)?
- Do these jobs have decent payment? That's an important thing to consider.

Also, plz suggest any other computer courses that u find interesting (ones where u use the computer, not ones involving manipulation with hardware etc.). Thanks.

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
>>>Video/computer game design and development

There is some cource for that at CSU i think, not sure, have a look in UAC

ErgoSum

HSC
Uh....
Id be careful about any course that is aimed solely at video game development. From what i hear, employers tend to look more favourably on general degrees that show you have a variety of skills, and if you ever change your mind a degree on video game programming wont really help you get any other IT job.

On the programming side you probably want to do a general computer science degree but also pick subjects like physics and electronics/microcomputers. Physics because you need to be able to do some modeling and maths and so on to make a game engine, and electronics because when you do that kind of programming, often you will want to get really low level. A computer science degree has a uai of like 82 i think, im doing software engineering which has a uai quite a lot higher than that. Software engineering would probably be a better choice but higher uai and potentially harder subjects.

On the media side of things, i dont really have any experience but one of my friends is doing a digital media course at unsw and that seems to be aimed at digital videos and animations and so on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)