• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is 'microbial production of ethene'? (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
In the sentence 'Discuss the need for alternative sources of compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry using microbial production of ethene as an example'- would it be referring to celluose to ethene via yeast,dehydration etc?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I know who OP is...lol.

I honestly didn't think that was in the syllabus but to answer a question like that, you talk about cellulose, breaking it down using concentration H2SO4 and/or cellulase (enzyme). This produces ethanol which can be dehydrated further using concentrated H2SO4 to produce ethene.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah what someth1ng said is a brief summary which you should use for your notes.

Although, you should check if that is the syllabus dot-point or not.

fatassmcfat

HSC
LOL YEAH awks
This isnt in the syllabus, but for some reason they included it in our assignment (maybe just so the answers more detailed)
thanks guyzz

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If I was given that question I would talk about the fermentation process to produce ethanol, then dehydration to produce ethylene. It does ask about microbial production after all, so I'd say you'd want to talk about a microbe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)