• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are dot-points?!? Pls help! (1 Viewer)

mbbs

HSC
Help guys! I'm an international student - started Yr 11 last month. Got my first hand-in assessment task for Chem and Bio last week.

The notifications both said the task is based on the following dot-points...
8.2.1.2.3; 8.2.1.2.4; 8.2.1.2.5; 8.2.1.3.4

Bio had a different bunch of numbers, but all starting with 8.

Pls tell me what they mean and if they correlate to the textbook or syllabus? I looked at the BOS syllabus but could not find the answer.

K

khorne

Pretty sure they are part of the syllabus...The first two numbers 8.x is the unit you are doing, eg: Acids (or whatever), while the other numbers should correlate to the sub point. If all else fails, ask your teacher.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well theres seems to be too many numbers for the syllabus :?
But say for example :
Biology:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/biology_stg6_syl_03.pdf

See the box on the left hand side, there are numbers there? Click on: 8.2 A Local Ecosystem.

Your first dots 8.2.1.2.3
8. refers to 'Preliminary'
2. refers to the module 'A local ecosystem'
1. refers to the first bold dot point (the overall idea) , which is: 1. The distribution, diversity and numbers of plants and animals found in ecosystems are determined by biotic and abiotic factors.
2. refers to the second mini dot point within this bold dot point:
  • Identify the factors determining the distribution and abundance of a species in each environment
3. confuses me. Unless it is a mini dot point within a dot point..
Maybe someone else could help you with this last one :/ Or if all else fails ask your teacher.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Well theres seems to be too many numbers for the syllabus :?
But say for example :
Biology:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/biology_stg6_syl_03.pdf

See the box on the left hand side, there are numbers there? Click on: 8.2 A Local Ecosystem.

Your first dots 8.2.1.2.3
8. refers to 'Preliminary'
2. refers to the module 'A local ecosystem'
1. refers to the first bold dot point (the overall idea) , which is: 1. The distribution, diversity and numbers of plants and animals found in ecosystems are determined by biotic and abiotic factors.
2. refers to the second mini dot point within this bold dot point:
  • Identify the factors determining the distribution and abundance of a species in each environment
3. confuses me. Unless it is a mini dot point within a dot point..
Maybe someone else could help you with this last one :/ Or if all else fails ask your teacher.
i have a suspicion that the first two indicates chemistry. do all the biology start with 8.something, then the other numbers?

because hsc chem all start with 9.2, and prelim chem all start with 8.2

so, that would make what Deer said correct, if you shifted it all down a line.

ie. 9 means preliminary.
2 means chemistry.
1 refers to the first module, "The Chemical Earth."
2 refers to the larger section, entitled "Although most elements are found in combinations on Earth, some elements are found uncombined."
3 refers to the specific dot point, "account for the uses of metals and non-metals in terms of their physical properties."

they should have given you the description of the dot point with the assessment sheet. my school says they have to.

mbbs

HSC
Thanks Guys! Yup, I think I got the number's mixed up. My chem assessment task dot-points start with 8.3 while Bio starts with 8.2 something.

We're doing Patterns in Nature for Bio at the moment.

Yup, they do have a description of the dot points on the notifications. But I was wondering where the descriptions came from.

Thanks - made a lot of sense. All from the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)