• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UNSW commerce or UTS business with scholarship (1 Viewer)

maxc16

Get some
HSC
I'm doing a cadet-ship next year and am allowed to receive a scholarship on top of this.
Should I go to UNSW for commerce or UTS for business ( assuming I get 99.5 merit scholarship for 10k per year).
Which option should I choose?
UTS has location convenience, less respect, uglier girls (lol), ugly facilities. The only thing it has to offer really is the scholarship.
Is it worth it?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
USyd Merit = 95+ ATAR actually unless you mean Outstanding Achievement (99.95). I would rather go to USyd - large open space, great facilities and a vibrant community.
Conversely UTS Cadetship provides work experience. Ultimately girls or money? lol

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd go for scholarship option because;
a) you get paid
b) you already have a job
c) significantly more convenient than UNSW/USYD/Macquarie for location especially when doing a cadetship
d) it sounds good if you have a university scholarship (even if it's due to your HSC performance)

maxc16

Get some
HSC
USYD is unfortunately not really an option for a cadetship because they have terrible timetables. And I think their 'merit' is for socially disadvantaged students.
And to seremify, I don't think I would enjoy UTS as much as UNSW, unless you can prove me wrong. Is it worth it to sacrifice enjoyment for money?

tambam

HSC
Is the uts scholarship automatically given to you if you get 99.5?
Or is it still through application + selection.
I'm also doing a cadetship next year (probably), but i wouldn't go to uts. It doesn't even have a proper campus, its just a bunch of buildings all joined together.

And i've spoken to some people who say usyd is actually improving their flexibility for cadets nowadays, so i think its still an option. But apparently unsw business school is better.

(or you could just get 99.9 and get the unsw scholarship and solve all your problems.)

maxc16

Get some
HSC
I think it may be automatic but I'm unsure. Usyd is improving but its nowhere near where it needs to be for cadets.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Ultimately you're the one who's going to have to make it work, so I'd choose what makes you content. A cadetship is a big deal and the entire thing is going to fall apart if you're not happy.

With that being said, I have to agree with the fact that UTS is probably the better option. Don't under estimate just how powerful a scholarship would be on your resume.

When I was doing my cadetship I found it really annoying travelling back and forth from Macquarie University and the city. Having everything in a central location would have been much easier. I was actually seriously contemplating switching over to UTS.

tambam

HSC
I think it may be automatic but I'm unsure. Usyd is improving but its nowhere near where it needs to be for cadets.
I spoke to a cadet who goes to usyd and he says they sorted his timetable out for him and everything was really good, but then again he said he was on a scholarship so they probably care about him more than the average commerce student.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Also in addition to the above, just keep in mind that when you're doing a cadetship you're really not going to have time to fully embrace university life like a full time university student. A cadetship is a full time job and it really takes a lot out of you if you're actively giving it your 100%. If you were really keen I guess you could get a taste of both worlds (corporate and university), but at the end of the day I don't think you're going be fully immersed in traditional university life.

At least that's just my opinion.

tambam

HSC
Also in addition to the above, just keep in mind that when you're doing a cadetship you're really not going to have time to fully embrace university life like a full time university student. A cadetship is a full time job and it really takes a lot out of you if you're actively giving it your 100%. If you were really keen I guess you could get a taste of both worlds (corporate and university), but at the end of the day I don't think you're going be fully immersed in traditional university life.

At least that's just my opinion.
Naah, a lot of the cadetships have changed their structures now, so that the first year is full time uni, so i guess that's an opportunity to embrace uni life :)

Also, for the last year (or 2) of your cadetship, were you working part time? Cos isn't the last year also full time study?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
USYD is unfortunately not really an option for a cadetship because they have terrible timetables. And I think their 'merit' is for socially disadvantaged students.
And to seremify, I don't think I would enjoy UTS as much as UNSW, unless you can prove me wrong. Is it worth it to sacrifice enjoyment for money?
Considering it's all based on what you've heard/seen rather than experienced, what do you think it is about UNSW which will make you enjoy it more (other than the 'girls' you mentioned in your first post)? LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)