• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

twin deficits theorem (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
guys is this theorem valid???? and can someone explain it... like what i gather is that if the gov't runs a budget deficit, to service it they've either got to borrow o.s. [which is what they're likely to do cause they need lotsa $$] or borrow locally...but then those local are gonna have to eventually run overseas to borrow to compensate anyway.

and does the twin deficits theorem contradict crowding out?? :confused:

i-color

yeah it's not in the syllabus, but if you get the general jist of it it's alright....like it sounds good just to chuck it into an essay or something. i chucked it in in my hsc exam.....ehehe.

bascially Twins deficit argument is that by decreasing investment or govt public borrowing, or increasing savings, CAD should decrease. However, it's not really a valid theory because it assumes that savings & investment are the same, which is never.

Originally posted by i-color
bascially Twins deficit argument is that by decreasing investment or govt public borrowing, or increasing savings, CAD should decrease. However, it's not really a valid theory because it assumes that savings & investment are the same, which is never.
No, it doesn't, as far as I can discern.

If I recalled correctly, the twin deficits equation is I - S + PSBR = CAD, often shortened to I - S = CAD, which represents the structual components of the CAD. From that equation either decreasing investment (as Keating did, leading to a recession) or increasing savings (e.g. budget surpluses, superannuation) will derease the CAD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)