• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Turkey, what happened to you? (1 Viewer)

googooloo

HSC
After SabtheLab mentioned Islamic states, I got a thinking about Turkey and how much they've changed in such a small amount of time, even banning headscarves in schools (even uni's!)---I don't know if it is at work too, but it is raising a generation of young girls who love it and are anti-hijab, this concerns me and troubles me greatly. How do i know this, a friend of mine is Turkish and she feels this way exactly. I mean, they're their loaws, but to result in an anti-hiajb feeling is the worrying part. What are your thoughts on this?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I don't think this is a recent development.

Post WWI General Attaturk led a coup and began a process of aggressive moderinisation and westernisation. I believe that many of these laws were put in place then.

Insofar as what Attaturk was aiming to do and accomplished I respect that. As a country Turkey is certainly far ahead of Iran and it is modernisation and westernisation we have to thabk for that.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
Think of it as what happened to Japan and the fall of the Meiji era. Maybe modernisation isn't such a bad thing.

googooloo

HSC
addymac said:
I don't think this is a recent development.

Post WWI General Attaturk led a coup and began a process of aggressive moderinisation and westernisation. I believe that many of these laws were put in place then.

Insofar as what Attaturk was aiming to do and accomplished I respect that. As a country Turkey is certainly far ahead of Iran and it is modernisation and westernisation we have to thabk for that.
It is losing the spirit of islam, westernisation has destroyed turkey.

and I did say that since the ottoman's end it's been going down hill.

googooloo

HSC
Armani said:
Think of it as what happened to Japan and the fall of the Meiji era. Maybe modernisation isn't such a bad thing.
Buthink about the samuri's! I don't mind Jpaan opening it's trade ot the world, but to lose the traditional culture sothat all this technology takes over every part of life, anti-gadets thats what i am right now, but u can't live without htem....its just like women! hehehe! lol

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Turkey is decent at least you can buy alcohol there, unlike those ultra-conservative Middle Eastern countries.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
googooloo said:
Buthink about the samuri's! I don't mind Jpaan opening it's trade ot the world, but to lose the traditional culture sothat all this technology takes over every part of life, anti-gadets thats what i am right now, but u can't live without htem....its just like women! hehehe! lol
As cool as the samuris were, any retention of traditionalist Japan (at least in matching the Wests military capabilities) would have seen Japan's prompt and utter destruction.

Turkey prospers because it has modernised. Iran will prosper when it properly embraces modernisation.

fb07

HSC
googooloo, Turkey has not lost its "islamic spirit" as you put it, it has developed one to suit todays standards I'd wish more muslims understood this as islam as i understand it is a timeless religion. If you don't understand the politics of a country don't say anything at all, its as simple as that you make yourself sound quite stupid. You do not understand that in Turkey, the hijab is not a sign of devotion to ones religion but is more of a political symbol. When its used as an icon of rebellion and whatever I'm for the ban. No the ban does not stretch to work. The hijab may not be worn at school, uni and government institutes. Here's a small example of why the hijab was used as a political symbol; prior to the republic morons would use the covering by going into government buildings and placing bombs. Because they were covered up and assumed as being a women, they were not seen as suspicious yet when authorities found out who these were the necesary steps were taken.

Ataturk modernised Turkey so that Turkey could have a say and develop in terms of western standards and good for him. As far as I know, Turkey have developed further then most muslim majority populated countries. The Ottoman Empire were already going downhill so saying something like "since the Ottoman Empire Turkeys going downhill" is plain ignorant. It was Ataturk that gave the women to vote as early as 1930, do you not think that this is a good advancement?

For him to secularise the country is a damn good thing and no it does not bring about anti-hijabi sentiments. Most of the Turks i know don't have a problem with the hijab so long as it stays as the HIJAB (basic head covering) and nothing more.

Culture is a wonderful thing and if you actually go to Turkey, which i'm presuming you haven't from the way you go on about it, you will see that they are very much obsessed with their culture and religion.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
supercharged said:
Turkey is decent at least you can buy alcohol there, unlike those ultra-conservative Middle Eastern countries.
decent????? alcohol????? you call once-conservative drunken idiots with alcohol-addled brains roaming around the streets at 3 am singing the theme song to Grease decent???

Riewe

HSC
Who sings the theme songs to Grease? Maybe if its on the radio on the way home, or was the last song played on the way out of the pub/club, but they wouldn't choose it consciously.

Alcohol is the solution, and cause, of all our problems.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
fb07 said:
googooloo, Turkey has not lost its "islamic spirit" as you put it, it has developed one to suit todays standards I'd wish more muslims understood this as islam as i understand it is a timeless religion. If you don't understand the politics of a country don't say anything at all, its as simple as that you make yourself sound quite stupid. You do not understand that in Turkey, the hijab is not a sign of devotion to ones religion but is more of a political symbol. When its used as an icon of rebellion and whatever I'm for the ban. No the ban does not stretch to work. The hijab may not be worn at school, uni and government institutes. Here's a small example of why the hijab was used as a political symbol; prior to the republic morons would use the covering by going into government buildings and placing bombs. Because they were covered up and assumed as being a women, they were not seen as suspicious yet when authorities found out who these were the necesary steps were taken.

Ataturk modernised Turkey so that Turkey could have a say and develop in terms of western standards and good for him. As far as I know, Turkey have developed further then most muslim majority populated countries. The Ottoman Empire were already going downhill so saying something like "since the Ottoman Empire Turkeys going downhill" is plain ignorant. It was Ataturk that gave the women to vote as early as 1930, do you not think that this is a good advancement?

For him to secularise the country is a damn good thing and no it does not bring about anti-hijabi sentiments. Most of the Turks i know don't have a problem with the hijab so long as it stays as the HIJAB (basic head covering) and nothing more.

Culture is a wonderful thing and if you actually go to Turkey, which i'm presuming you haven't from the way you go on about it, you will see that they are very much obsessed with their culture and religion.
first of all, i agree with you- islam is a timeless religion and as such it is open to new ideas. however, it does not accept changes to its theology or the basic framework of Shariah law. When Attaturk decided to ban the hijab, he did so in the name of modernisation. but why did he decide that the hijab is inconsistent with modernisation? yes maybe the fact that people blew themselves up was a catalyst but thats not the full story. in his desperate attempt to be accepted by the west, he wanted to suppress all outward signs of religion so as to please an increasingly secular western society.
you say that its a good thing that Turkey embraced western culture. may i ask why exactly? what do you feel is so superior about a culture which praises and encourages promiscuity, the desanctity of marriage and the de-humanisation of women? when u walk down the street and see a billboard advertising icecream with a half-naked woman at the front do you consider that liberation or just a continuation of male exploitation of women for their own purposes albeit in a more subtle way?

let me guess..ur reasoning is that capitalism and materialism are the way of the future. well i ahve news for you... because of this so-called "superior western society' over 4 billion people in the world are starving and this figure is increasing. because of globalisation, also an aspect of the ' superior West', the rich are getting millions deposited in their piggy banks everyday while emaciated children in india and Africa are eating flies and worms just to survive. World poverty has never been as great as it was since 'the West' decided it would implement a capitalist regime in all the Western countries in th world.

""As far as I know, Turkey have developed further then most muslim majority populated countries. The Ottoman Empire were already going downhill so saying something like "since the Ottoman Empire Turkeys going downhill" is plain ignorant. It was Ataturk that gave the women to vote as early as 1930, do you not think that this is a good advancement?"""

you say attaturk gave women the right to vote in 1930 as though its something which he should be so proud of...a really big achievement. sweetie, 1400 years ago, when the Europeans were still trying to figure out whether women even had souls, Ilsam gave women the right to vote, the right to work, the right to lead- rights which ' Western women' have only just achieved.

Developed?? you mean added to world poverty by taking on this persona of the West? true... perhaps he has developed more than other muslim countries but pleas esee the distinction between a mUslim country and an Islamic state. i agree with you- the western system is despite its flaws, a better alternative to the regimes currently in place in Muslimcountries. but u have to understand that these countries do not reflect an Islamic state. None of them do! In an islamic state, there would be absolutely no poverty. and this is not just an idealistic model, this is reality. in the earliest Islamic states, becasue of zakat(alms-giving) therwe was not a single poor person in the state-everyone had what they needed. thus, it'd be logical to assume this is a better alternative to Western capitalism. if Attaturk really wanted to advance his country beyond the crappy systems that are in the world at the moment, he should tried to implement a TRUE islamic state. that would be the epitome of modernisation.

and please, for all the moonlight sonata's and comrade nathan's out there, before you open ur mouths and start blubbering ignorance about how an Islamic state is oppressive and backward and God knows what else, go and do ur research!

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
Riewe said:
Who sings the theme songs to Grease? Maybe if its on the radio on the way home, or was the last song played on the way out of the pub/club, but they wouldn't choose it consciously.

Alcohol is the solution, and cause, of all our problems.
my darling, it is the cause

fb07

HSC
SabtheLab said:
first of all, i agree with you- islam is a timeless religion and as such it is open to new ideas. however, it does not accept changes to its theology or the basic framework of Shariah law. When Attaturk decided to ban the hijab, he did so in the name of modernisation. but why did he decide that the hijab is inconsistent with modernisation? yes maybe the fact that people blew themselves up was a catalyst but thats not the full story. in his desperate attempt to be accepted by the west, he wanted to suppress all outward signs of religion so as to please an increasingly secular western society.
of course its not the full story .. did you actually read what i wrote i said i'll give you a SMALL example.. It is still a political icon in Turkey. I can't explain this to you and you will never understand unless you LIVE there .. I tihnk I've emphasized that enough...

SabtheLab said:
you say that its a good thing that Turkey embraced western culture.
no i didnt .. read. I actually said Turkish people are heavily attached to their culture. They embrace their culture and religion in a different way to most muslims and its fantastic like i said .. if more muslims understood how to do this goodr them. Moderation is your friend. :)

SabtheLab said:
may i ask why exactly? what do you feel is so superior about a culture which praises and encourages promiscuity, the desanctity of marriage and the de-humanisation of women? when u walk down the street and see a billboard advertising icecream with a half-naked woman at the front do you consider that liberation or just a continuation of male exploitation of women for their own purposes albeit in a more subtle way?
irrelevant to what I'm saying ..

SabtheLab said:
let me guess..ur reasoning is that capitalism and materialism are the way of the future.
no don't guess anything .. you make youself look bad. I dont understand why people have to go to extremes when arguing about something. I'm not saying that all countries must be capitalist and what not .. in fact there are thousands in Turkey ( mind you, mostly uni students and the youth which make up the majority of the population) that hate the whole notion of capitalism and materialism.. left-wing right-wing was and still is to an extent huge in Turkey .. it got so bad at one stage that there was a coup d'etat in the 80s because of it. This does not mean that they abandon it all together. Like I said .. moderation.

SabtheLab said:
Well i ahve news for you... because of this so-called "superior western society' over 4 billion people in the world are starving and this figure is increasing. because of globalisation, also an aspect of the ' superior West', the rich are getting millions deposited in their piggy banks everyday while emaciated children in india and Africa are eating flies and worms just to survive. World poverty has never been as great as it was since 'the West' decided it would implement a capitalist regime in all the Western countries in th world.
again .. irrelevant to what I'm saying

SabtheLab said:
""As far as I know, Turkey have developed further then most muslim majority populated countries. The Ottoman Empire were already going downhill so saying something like "since the Ottoman Empire Turkeys going downhill" is plain ignorant. It was Ataturk that gave the women to vote as early as 1930, do you not think that this is a good advancement?"""

you say attaturk gave women the right to vote in 1930 as though its something which he should be so proud of...a really big achievement. sweetie, 1400 years ago, when the Europeans were still trying to figure out whether women even had souls, Ilsam gave women the right to vote, the right to work, the right to lead- rights which ' Western women' have only just achieved.
Nice .. I am all for Islam, Islam is great I have no problem with it so you don't need to give me a lesson on Islam. It's just not practised or interpretted greatly.. Prior to the republic women did not have the right to vote, in fact there was always a seperation of women and men. Is this Islam practised correctly? No it isn't. Which is why I don't understand what your point is... Ataturk gave women the right to vote and your saying this is something Islam did years ago ... yet Turkey is going astray of Islam.

SabtheLab said:
Developed?? you mean added to world poverty by taking on this persona of the West? true... perhaps he has developed more than other muslim countries but pleas esee the distinction between a mUslim country and an Islamic state. i agree with you- the western system is despite its flaws, a better alternative to the regimes currently in place in Muslimcountries. but u have to understand that these countries do not reflect an Islamic state. None of them do! In an islamic state, there would be absolutely no poverty. and this is not just an idealistic model, this is reality. in the earliest Islamic states, becasue of zakat(alms-giving) therwe was not a single poor person in the state-everyone had what they needed. thus, it'd be logical to assume this is a better alternative to Western capitalism. if Ataturk really wanted to advance his country beyond the crappy systems that are in the world at the moment, he should tried to implement a TRUE islamic state. that would be the epitome of modernisation..
Ataturk was a smart man. Do you honestly think that he did not tihnk of what .. how old are you .. 17/18? of what an 18 year old thinks of. Read up on the history a bit to gain an understanding. He did what was best for the people at the time. It is simply not easy to do what you're saying. The Turks did not get help from their muslim "brothers" then hence developed a system that was best for the people at the time. Read up about it oh and non of this .. "ataturk the enemy of islam" crap either :rolleyes: . You'd be surprised. By the way .. out of curiousity.. which countries are islamic states?

SabtheLab said:
and please, for all the moonlight sonata's and comrade nathan's out there, before you open ur mouths and start blubbering ignorance about how an Islamic state is oppressive and backward and God knows what else, go and do ur research!
Lovely, I suggest you take some of your own advice :)

tempco

HSC
fb07 said:
I actually said Turkish people are heavily attached to their culture. They embrace their culture and religion in a different way to most muslims and its fantastic like i said .. if more muslims understood how to do this goodr them. Moderation is your friend. :)
i have quite a few turkish friends, and from what i've been exposed to (from their actions and what they've told me), turkish people are usually not very moderate. either they're all for islam, slamming attaturk "as the devil", or they're absolutely infatuated by attaturk, and his actions which "saved turkey".

as long as culture does not lead to a violation of islamic law, i'm all for culture.

fb07 said:
Ataturk was a smart man. Do you honestly think that he did not tihnk of what .. how old are you .. 17/18? of what an 18 year old thinks of. Read up on the history a bit to gain an understanding. He did what was best for the people at the time. It is simply not easy to do what you're saying. The Turks did not get help from their muslim "brothers" then hence developed a system that was best for the people at the time. Read up about it oh and non of this .. "ataturk the enemy of islam" crap either :rolleyes: . You'd be surprised. By the way .. out of curiousity.. which countries are islamic states?
yes, he was smart, shrewd, conniving - as many politicians are. and you'd be ignorant to think that all of what ataturk did was for the sake of the turkish people.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Oh and Sab as much as alms sounds like a great idea it has some pretty major flaws.

And in our own way we do it in the West via the welfare state......

fb07

HSC
tempco said:
i have quite a few turkish friends, and from what i've been exposed to (from their actions and what they've told me), turkish people are usually not very moderate. either they're all for islam, slamming attaturk "as the devil", or they're absolutely infatuated by atturk, and his actions which "saved turkey".

as long as culture does not lead to a violation of islamic law, i'm all for culture.

yes, he was smart, shrewd, conniving - as many politicians are. and you'd be ignorant to think that all of what ataturk did was for the sake of the turkish people.
I wouldn't judge Turkish people by the majority of Turks here, I think its a pretty poor represenatation and it was quite a shock when I went to Turkey myself. But your right in saying that Ataturk was not ALL for the people, however he did in my opinion do a good job of bringing the people together... It wasn't as forced as most of the muslims or 'western' people think it was. Most of the people in Turkey, when i went there had a good combination of both religion and what Ataturk brought about. They respected both Ataturk and followed their religion accordingly, i see nothing wrong with this and don't understand why Turkey gets put down or 'disgusted' for it.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
googooloo said:
It is losing the spirit of islam, westernisation has destroyed turkey.

and I did say that since the ottoman's end it's been going down hill.

Things evolve. Usually when better ways are found, there will be a move to them.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
addy mac, yeh, a welfare state with more flaws than the islamic form- sorry what was that about evolving?? wasnt it meant to be for the better?

fbi, i guess were arguing completely different things. misinterpretation, i apologise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)