• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Trials and hsc question (1 Viewer)

_deloso

HSC
If I do average in my trials and my overall internal marks is about 80-90% in advanced maths, physics, chem and sor2unit, and about 50-60% in advanced english, can I still get a decent atar if I do well in hsc externals (band 5-6 for the subjects i do)? about 85-95 atar at least?

anne1010

HSC
no one gives a shit about what your internal mark is. its about your rank

enoilgam

HSC
With the HSC its all about rankings. Its better to be getting 60% and coming 1st, then to be getting 95% and coming 5th. If you do poorly internally it is still possible to get a good ATAR by doing extremely well in the externals, as they are worth 50% of your HSC

TorMental

HSC
^ err, what kind of shit are you talking? Its not that simple as ranks. You can be coming first in your 'school' but compared to the state, you may be 2nd last. That being said, ranks is equally if not more important to the internal marks you are receiving.

enoilgam

HSC
^ err, what kind of shit are you talking? Its not that simple as ranks. You can be coming first in your 'school' but compared to the state, you may be 2nd last. That being said, ranks is equally if not more important to the internal marks you are receiving.
True, but in terms of determining your internal marks, the actual percentages do not really matter (they matter only for determining the gaps between students). I remember in SOR, I had an internal percentage of around 68, which was moderated up to 88 for my final internal mark.

Also, the difficulty of exams varys from school to school. A person getting 70% internally in one school might only get 60% at another, because the latter schools tests are much more difficult

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)