• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Time available to write an essay? (1 Viewer)

Amazonis

HSC
What is the usual time frame for writing a Uni essay in the humanities area? ie. how much time do you usually have to complete an essay from the moment the question/s are made available to you?

HSC
Questions are made available from the time you get your course outline (sorta like your syllabus). You may or may not get the exact question then, further details are usually available a month before.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
It depends completely on the subject (well the lecturer really)-

Many of my history subjects have a 'tutorial paper' ie. you'll get the questions for each tutorial at the beginning of the semester and then we do an essay on one of the tutorial subjects and hand it in at that tutorial- so you can chose to do the essay due in week 4 or you could chose to do it in week 13 etc and (ie. you might have 3-4 weeks or 13 depending on what you choose).

Another subject's essay is due at the end of semester and we've had the questions since the beginning, but its unlikely anyone will start until maybe four weeks before...

Scorch

HSC
It depends completely on the subject (well the lecturer really)-

Many of my history subjects have a 'tutorial paper' ie. you'll get the questions for each tutorial at the beginning of the semester and then we do an essay on one of the tutorial subjects and hand it in at that tutorial- so you can chose to do the essay due in week 4 or you could chose to do it in week 13 etc and (ie. you might have 3-4 weeks or 13 depending on what you choose).

Another subject's essay is due at the end of semester and we've had the questions since the beginning, but its unlikely anyone will start until maybe four weeks before...
Yeah, this is very much the case I'm finding in second year units with History (or Ancient History, as I'm doing), and you tend to have a good deal of freedom to choose when you end up doing your essay for that subject in order to ensure that you don't end up doing them all at once (though I will still end up doing them the night before).

izzy88

HSC
Yeah, this is very much the case I'm finding in second year units with History (or Ancient History, as I'm doing), and you tend to have a good deal of freedom to choose when you end up doing your essay for that subject in order to ensure that you don't end up doing them all at once (though I will still end up doing them the night before).
it must be something about ancient units! (well when i said 'history' i really meant 'ancient history' ) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)