• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

tailored suit (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so i will be soon getting a tailored suit.
i'm just going to get the 'base' model,

if i like the suit, and its quality,

i'll get another suit with better features.
ie. better fabrics and better lining, hems, vents, etc.

anyone here have a tailored suit?

how much is it to get measured?
(just measured, not tailored)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I do, last time measurements were for free.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
what if your not going to buy the suit from them,
but need to get measured.

My cousin works for a company in south korea which produce pretty good suits.
obviously im not going to fly over there for a cheaper tailored suit.

so i thought i'd get measured here, send my measurements,
and get the suit made, shipped over here.

it'll save me a couple hundred dollars, and when i opt for higher quality suits (cashmere, super wool), then it will be perhaps thousands. (if i opt for highest quality in everything)

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
mine cost $200-250 from thailand

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
theism said:
what if your not going to buy the suit from them,
but need to get measured.

My cousin works for a company in south korea which produce pretty good suits.
obviously im not going to fly over there for a cheaper tailored suit.

so i thought i'd get measured here, send my measurements,
and get the suit made, shipped over here.

it'll save me a couple hundred dollars, and when i opt for higher quality suits (cashmere, super wool), then it will be perhaps thousands. (if i opt for highest quality in everything)
Yeah, measure yourself. My parents are asian so naturally they know how to take measurements :p

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
if you're going to pay heaps for a suit, why don't you just buy zegna or boss. they're okay, in about the 1000-2000 range excluding a shirt.

a little cheaper but still awesome would be calibre.
yummmm calibre

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
housah0lic said:
if you're going to pay heaps for a suit, why don't you just buy zegna or boss. they're okay, in about the 1000-2000 range excluding a shirt.

a little cheaper but still awesome would be calibre.
yummmm calibre

because they arn't that great, and your just purely buying their brand.

tailored suits feel more comfortable, and you can choose the fabrics (which in the end will make a boss suit look crap, since they generally only use up to s120 wool).

for a $2k suit, i can get s180 wool, or cashmere virgin wool with fully lined silk lining, ;), as opposed to a generic mass-produced suit with some hundred added to because of the brand name.

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
tommykins said:
Yeah, measure yourself. My parents are asian so naturally they know how to take measurements :p
im korean myself, but i don't want to make a mistake.

besides, i think the tailor has some formula to which they apply when measuring, so its give or take for comfort.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
theism said:

tailored suits feel more comfortable, and you can choose the fabrics (which in the end will make a boss suit look crap, since they generally only use up to s120 wool).

for a $2k suit, i can get s180 wool ;)

don't agree.
yes you are indeed paying more just because it is the brand, but the quality and the effort taken in producing these suits is immaculate.
i can recognise a zegna suit when i see one, i kid you not.
i observe the way it fits and moves.
i prefer zegna to boss, but i'm probably biased because my dad has a large collection of zegna clothing.

buy a cheap suit, look cheap - even if it was tailor made.
i'm all for buying cheap shit and making look expensive, but with suits you can definitely tell the difference.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
housah0lic said:
don't agree.
yes you are indeed paying more just because it is the brand, but the quality and the effort taken in producing these suits is immaculate.
i can recognise a zegna suit when i see one, i kid you not.
i observe the way it fits and moves.
i prefer zegna to boss, but i'm probably biased because my dad has a large collection of zegna clothing.

buy a cheap suit, look cheap - even if it was tailor made.
i'm all for buying cheap shit and making look expensive, but with suits you can definitely tell the difference.
yeah,
but what if it's high-end fabrics?

i think boss uses s100 wool for their $1-2k line.
how about armani?

i'll compare the 'trial run' suit, with my $700 suit to note the differences.
if i don't like it,
then ill just get a zegna?
if i like the quality of the base one, then i'll opt for another tailor suit with better fabrics?

what are the better fabrics instead of super wool and virgin cashmere?

Last edited:

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
true. that is fair enough.

yes i guess it is just about the label. but the label is gooooddd. materialism is funnnn.

idk what armani uses for their suits. i don't look that far in as i don't wear suits myself, i just admire them.
getting a zegna now might not be such a good idea unless you have the cash to just fling around - you'll outgrow it.

and better fabrics? do they get better?
a personal fave comb of mine is linen and wool. my dad has the most amazing ferre suit made of linen and wool <3

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
oo.

a friend of mine just told me that the lower lines of zegna (z zegna, and z zegna soft), are fused together rather than stitched.

i'm guessing 'fused' means glued?
and only those worse 3-4k are actually stitched

DTFM

HSC
What on Earth does a high schooler need a $2,000 suit for?

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
theism said:

for a $2k suit, i can get s180 wool, or cashmere virgin wool with fully lined silk lining, ;), as opposed to a generic mass-produced suit with some hundred added to because of the brand name.
Yes their suits are great but at a price most of us cannot justify at this age...theism you are right though. You're generally better off getting a quality suit tailor made from overseas than one from here for the equivalent price, unless of course you are rich as hell, for a number of reasons really, they are (generally) good quality, you get better materials for the price such as pure wool(which means it will last longer) & you don't have to worry about fit (you can only go so far with alterations on an off the rack suit). However for peace of mind its simpler to just get one here and you can generally hire quality zegna suits for around $300 but then again we are at an age where it will be advantageous to have a suit of your own in the near future.

in reference to what housah0lic said +1 for calibre suits as a well priced option.

Sonata

HSC
DTFM said:
What on Earth does a high schooler need a $2,000 suit for?
formal and future events i guess, though they'll out grow the suit eventually lol
$2,000 for a suit is an overkill really

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Sonata said:
formal and future events i guess, though they'll out grow the suit eventually lol
$2,000 for a suit is an overkill really
Nah, $2000 suits look pretty spectacular. if I could afford one I'd probably get one. For a highschooler though, yeh it seems silly.

jaykhu

HSC
Guys guys guys,

Don't waste your money on big brand names! esp for overpriced fused suits!

And if you're not graduating from uni within the next year don't get a $2000 suit, heck don't get a $2000 even when you first graduate:

1. You can't afford it (if u can, you can invest that money better elsewhere)

2. You don't want to look better than your boss (you don't deserve to!)

3. If you're not graduating soon, you'll likely develop a better sense of style by the time you truly need a good suit, and by then, the suit you opt for will be more up to date and purchased when you have developed a more informed knowledge in suiting and hopefully more refined taste in style, fit, fabrics.

www.herringbone.com.au when its on sale is the best value suit in sydney (well one of at least)

The osaka suit, fully canvased, made in japan, slim cut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)