• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selection? (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
Yo, just asking what do you guys think about this:

Advanced English
Math Extension 1
Math Standard
Chemistry
Biology
Physics

Are these subjects wayyy to hard? Will I have like some free time doing this or am I just going to study like 24/7 or somethin. I like Science so that's why I picked it. In the HSC I just want to focus basically on 3 subjects, English , Math, and Science related. What do you guys think? Has anyone experienced these subjects before and are they hard?

HSC
Can't answer all your questions sine I'm in Year 10 also, but I can help out based on tips that I got from others who finished the HSC.
Those subjects will be challenging of course, like the HSC as a whole. But that's life. Put in all your time and effort for Year 12 and you'll be greatly rewarded for the rest of your life. Since you like your sciences, you should find yourself enjoying the courses and probably getting high marks too. Manage your time. Follow the syllabus. Do external work, not just homework.
For Maths, you'll have to dedicate quite a lot of time to get good marks. It's good to start off with extension maths so that then at least you give it a go and not regret not picking it; and if it gets too hard you can always drop. But with the right amount of effort and revision, these subjects should only be rewarding :D
Goodluck!!

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Nothing is too hard, as long as you enjoy them. :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
they're all fine
quite a lot of the people at my school did that combo for year 11 and they were fine with it (however most of them dropped bio in year 12)
I think if you enjoy the subjects, then it won't matter how much work it is because you will enjoy studying for them

the main thing is that you don't burn out too early. Since you'll only be in year 11, pace yourself.

kev-

HSC
i'm doing all those subjects for year 11 as well, and I think they require more time managing than any other combination :)

Indoz

HSC
its not too bad, apparently biology is quite easy?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
its not too bad, apparently biology is quite easy?
Biology is easier in that the concepts are easier to get your head around than chem or physics, but there is a lot more memorising in bio than in the other two sciences. Sure, doing all 3 takes a bit of time management, but if you enjoy them all then there's no problem :)

anguyenh

HSC
Quite a few of my friends picked the exact same subjects you did (as well as their 1 Unit subject).
Your subject combination is fine as long as you're entirely sure you're extremely passionate in Mathematics and Science and are willing to keep up with the workload throughout your Senior years.. Some people aim for more of a balance between their subjects but some people are Maths/Science/English-oriented, which is entirely fine too!! :)

It'll be a lot of work and you'll have to work very hard, but if you're a hard-worker and extremely diligent you could attain great results!
All I'll say to you is, since you're doing all three sciences, remember that a lot of students (generalising selective kids) go to tutoring, so you may be behind them in class if you're relying on self-studying the course yourself. Also, if your year group has a lot of people doing those subjects, it may be hard to get good rankings too, so good luck!! :)

such_such

HSC
You don't have to study, remember. I had lots of free time + tutor so yes, time management is the key and prioritising your tasks, definitely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)