• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

spartan education and military!! please help!! (1 Viewer)

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
ok,
i have an assignment on spartan education and military and i have to write it as 5 diary entries by as spartan soilder, our teacher recommends we talk abt a soilder's point of view during different ages of his life! now it seems easy.. but i cant really find adequate information! also all i got was how at the age of 7 a male was sent to army and hit!! i dont know what else to rite abt..
can anyone help??
:confused:
thanks!!

rocka_psycho

hey

my class jsut finnished Sparta...wat would u like to know about the education system? otherwise known as the Agoge?..:p

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I've only done a little bit on sparta atm but we did have a bit of a look at this today

the Perioki made the armory and weapons (according to our convo today)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I can probably help out with the edu system as we finished that last week

Education - timeline outlining events

- from 0-7 the boys lived under their mother - they were displined by their mother and helot nannies (i dont think they were called that though)

- age of 7 they moved into teh Agoge where their military training begain

- 10 yrs they began taking part in competitions

- 12 yrs started as 'cadet' solider
Period b/w 12 - 18 years was period where could not be called for combat service in the amry

-19 yrs - entered class of eirns - combat but not front line soliders

-20yrs captiened youths in 19th stage

-24-30 yrs front line combat soliders

Plutarch - notes that the aim of the edu. system was to train boys for military service

*note that the boys had to steel food to eat - encouraged to do this but punished if they were caught

"to make the boys craftier and more inventive in getting supplies, while at teh same time, it cultivated their war like instincts...(he was punished if caught) as being a sorry bunglar in the art" - Plutach

* look at their apperance before and after the age of 30 (remembering at 30 they could have the long hair) - also the preparation for battle; sacrifices, doing hair. That would be something they would likely note in a diary

Here are also some sources / books you can look out that outline the edu. system and military service quite well;
- Xenophon
- Plutarch
- Bradley
- Bury and Meiggs
- Antiquity II

If you need anything else or anything in more specific detail dont hestiate to ask.
Mel

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
thanks mel,
another thing,
do u think its a good idea to write the assignment from the soilder's personal point of view for i was planning to rite it as 3-4 different individual's diary entry as the person passes thru different stages of life, eg. from 7 to 12, a father writes abt his son's trainings and then the personal trainier talks about his disciple from the age of 12 to 18 etc. i am really confused. please help.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
it sounds good - could u post ur actual assesment quesiton if u've got it on u...

it sounds good cause you give a look through all different aspects. and u can bring in all the information that way...

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
umm.. ok,
my task is:
write atleast 5 diary entries from the point of view of a Spartan soilder. in your response you may wish to include all or some of the following-
# recruitment and training
#weapons and armour
#organisational structure of the army
#discipline and payment

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
hey.. cud ne1 tell me as to when were the spartan trainees assigned with private tutors?? like at what age??
thanks

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
thanks i was just wondering what ur question was...
when you talk about the 'Private tutors' are you meaning the older guys - those aged 20 because i know they hleped teach the 19 year olds.
i'm not sure it thats what u mean

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
ok,
i was told that each spartaite in the agoge was assigned with a personal mentor who was one of the older members of the army like probably 23-30 or somethin.. aint sure.. and this mentor looked after the progress in the training and taught different militaristic techniques etc. probably they were the one with whom the younger ones had homosexual relationships :p so the question is when was an individual assigned with these kinds of mentors.. like at what age?
wud u have any idea?

Chez

I agree with Da-Butterfree, if you could find infomation on the homosextual myths of spartan camps, it would probably set you appart from your other class mates. I think there are a whole lot of videos on the topic, I'll see if I can find some names for you

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
as far as homosexuality is considered, i came across a variety of responses.. ppl say different stuff abt it!! so i aint really sure abt it.. ne1 know ne thin abt the mentor??

fivebyfive

HSC
Um...we did sparta last term and for our assessment we had to write a speech on an aspect of Sparta that we got given. I got the Agoge......its in a speech format...but it might help u a bit...I got 15/15 for it anyhow :D

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
hey cud u send it to me.. like e-mail it to me..
or pm me.. please.. hurry, its due friday!!
thanks

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
whoow!! 15/15.. that s gr8!
hey cud u send it to me.. like e-mail it to me..
or pm me.. please.. hurry, its due friday!!
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)