• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sorta easy question regarding internal and external marks (1 Viewer)

sillyboy44

HSC
I was over the moon with my marks internally and placed first in all bar one of my subjects. I find it very difficult to believe that I'll be able to achieve identical results (I'd imagine my external marks may be about 5% lower).

if my external exam mark is lower, by let's say 5%, but my cohort actually picks up our collective average by 10%, what will happen to my internal marks?

Cheers!

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Im not completely sure about this, so dont quote me, but im pretty sure BOS doesnt actually look at your internal assessment marks as such
They look at your rankings, and then apply some mathematics to whatever your cohort got in the externals to find your moderated assessment mark
Since you got 1st in pretty much all your subjects, your HSC mark will pretty much be your external mark, and the top external mark as your moderated assessment mark. Since you did come first, your cohort picking up wont really affect you, unless someone scores higher than you in the externals and you get their exam mark as your moderated assessment

If this doesnt make sense, im sure this will...
http://vimeo.com/47236108

D94

HSC
N/A
The individual mark doesn't matter, BUT, the difference of marks which separates each students matters a lot. Coming second by 2 marks is much better than coming second by 20 marks. Ranks generally don't even matter, BOS looks at the difference between marks. They are only important for the first and last ranked student.

Now, since you're first in most of your subjects, it means your moderated assessment mark will be the mark of the highest HSC exam mark achieved in your school, and you will obviously keep your own HSC exam mark. So you get the average of your HSC exam mark + the highest HSC exam mark on your cohort, and that will be your final HSC mark.

Shadowless

HSC
The individual mark doesn't matter, BUT, the difference of marks which separates each students matters a lot. Coming second by 2 marks is much better than coming second by 20 marks. Ranks generally don't even matter, BOS looks at the difference between marks. They are only important for the first and last ranked student.

Now, since you're first in most of your subjects, it means your moderated assessment mark will be the mark of the highest HSC exam mark achieved in your school, and you will obviously keep your own HSC exam mark. So you get the average of your HSC exam mark + the highest HSC exam mark on your cohort, and that will be your final HSC mark.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)