• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

so did everyone made some friends yet? (1 Viewer)

mistyflowe

I found it quite hard to make friends in uni, so I was wondering am I the only one think like this? Because like everyone has different times for lectures, guess it's hard to find someone same as you.

bubble_tea

aww.. dw, u'll hang in there.. ;)
my friends (from other uni's) are in the same situation as you, they make 5 min friends who disappear when it comes to the next lecture.. but yeha, try looking around for who u've met in other lectures and sit next to them, everyone's shy at first, u gotta have the initiative if u want things to work your way.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
mistyflowe said:
I found it quite hard to make friends in uni, so I was wondering am I the only one think like this? Because like everyone has different times for lectures, guess it's hard to find someone same as you.
Come to First Year hang outs, 11-1pm Wednesdays all of March. In the terrace bit of the bar, get to meet other newbs and mentors.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm, like me :D

Its not just you, i myself didnt make friends till late second semester since i didnt have many people i saw more than once a week.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
mistyflowe said:
Shit dont worry about it, i know ppl at my uni from highschool but they werent exactly in my group, and i dont hang with them much, cause different lecture times and shit, also u got heaps of work to do with uni

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Come to First Year hang outs, 11-1pm Wednesdays all of March. In the terrace bit of the bar, get to meet other newbs and mentors.
is this a real thing?

yeh i dont have any friends either... and im in 2nd year...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah it is, if you're interested in just finding other people who are in your situation

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
hum....u mite meet ppl on webct first and then u mite become friends with some of them :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hey g2g we dont have to wear mentor shirts right :p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I didn't make any real friends until my s/o and I became friends. Until then, I dont think either of us had anyone to sit with in lectures (or at least we didnt have any people we actually wanted to sit with!). I have a great friend in law (we work together too), but when I go to the lecture's its awkward because I dont know her little group of high scholl friends who she sits with, so I just sit there and dont say anything (...or don't go! :)) Now I tend to just make friends in tute's, but thats it. Its a complete uni-based friendship. I wouldnt call any of them to go out... I have high school friends for that.

So dont worry bubs, there are heaps of people out there who dont make solid friendships for ages-if ever! Its not like high school where you see the same people everyday... Just wait until you click with someone, it will happen I promise. Until then, sit on the grass and pretend to read (I got v. good at that!), or go to that mentoring thing G2G mentioned...

...and hey! The longer it takes to make friends, the more time you have to study!!!! How exciting! :D

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
wow...dint know it was so hard to make fwends at uni...
glad im doing actuarial...we meet the same ppl everyday coz we all do the same subjects...

but ye...making friends in tutes is wot u'd do if u dun c em other times...

lots of ppl dun have fwends wen they first start uni...so juz go crazy..every1s open and willing to accept any companionship. once u wait til 2nd yr ppl are in their groups and it gets harder.

philly17

yer i'm doing mostly arts and its heaps hard to make freinds too!! plus i cant go to those oreination things im not at uni weds ohh well ill just study instead!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Uni can be pretty lonely sometimes, especially if you have nobody from high school doing any of your courses, but you will meet some friendly people in lectures and tuts. Luckily for me i know MaryJane and Skittled now. Thats two new people i know. If it wasn't for them i would go insane in psych lectures :)

*rinney*

HSC
MaryJane said:
Its a complete uni-based friendship. I wouldnt call any of them to go out... I have high school friends for that.
I totally agree - the friendships i made in highschool are *i hope* eternal and they'll always be the ones i'll go out with and hang out with outside of uni. and yup i haven't really made any friends at uni either cuz it's hard to, considering there's zillions of people in lectures (and lectures aren't really a social place!) and you only see them like once in a blue moon. maybs in tutorials i'll strike some buddies. but i mean, it doesn't bother me. i've "met" people and introduced myself to people in my classes, but in between classes i've got someone i went to school with and her sister who i see.

i was actually feeling very lonely the other day sitting by myself under a tree eating lunch and missing school and all my pals sooo much. but i guess it'll just take time - or to speed up the process, go to these orientation bbq's and shit that they're holding, or meet people in the sambar haha (that's where i'll be heading i think!). and think back to like kindergarten when you were all by yourself and had to make friends :p and remember that the friends you have now were strangers to you once! :)

so don't fret - everyone's in the same boat!!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Luckily for me i know MaryJane and Skittled now. Thats two new people i know. If it wasn't for them i would go insane in psych lectures :)
Haha I know! Its great sitting with you; we're "cool dudie team psych"! And now I have someone else to talk to besides Mr. Skittled! I know everything about him, and he knows everything about me so we just sit there, taking shit (as I'm sure you've noticed!!)

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
Its not that hard making random friends, but making good friends that you would see out of uni is hard ... and a good group of friends even harder!
I remember i met a few randoms in my very first semester, who i have never seen again.

The best way - i think - is to sit next to someone who also looks like a loner and start up a convo ...

dont be scared to make the first move, a lot of other people are in the same boat!

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
im going to be a new person tommorow!

btw for... cause... you got your bba103 tute answers?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
MaryJane said:
I didn't make any real friends until my s/o and I became friends. Until then, I dont think either of us had anyone to sit with in lectures (or at least we didnt have any people we actually wanted to sit with!). I have a great friend in law (we work together too), but when I go to the lecture's its awkward because I dont know her little group of high scholl friends who she sits with, so I just sit there and dont say anything (...or don't go! :)) Now I tend to just make friends in tute's, but thats it. Its a complete uni-based friendship. I wouldnt call any of them to go out... I have high school friends for that.

So dont worry bubs, there are heaps of people out there who dont make solid friendships for ages-if ever! Its not like high school where you see the same people everyday... Just wait until you click with someone, it will happen I promise. Until then, sit on the grass and pretend to read (I got v. good at that!), or go to that mentoring thing G2G mentioned...

...and hey! The longer it takes to make friends, the more time you have to study!!!! How exciting! :D
edit :)

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
is this a real thing?

yeh i dont have any friends either... and im in 2nd year...
no wonder you're our new resident stalker =p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
iambored said:
my school friends from other unis seem to have a group
Maybe they're making it up to sound popular? ;) I kinda like the whole sitting randomly with people you know for just that lecture/tute. Its easier and its really quite nice to have that degree of anonymity-its so refreshing from high school where everyone knew your business. You can be selective in what you discuss and divulge to others... But I do miss the 'group' mentality... sigh... the dilemmas of growing old!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)