• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I Do Drama? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm really stuck on what to put for my final 2 unit subject and I'm thinking maybe of putting down drama.

So pretty much I did drama in year 9 but dropped it in year 10. I liked my year 9 teacher and most of the yr 9 topics but in year 10 I got 2 new teachers (3 lessons each). One of them I had at the start of yr 9 and for the musical. She was alright - ish and the other one was sooo boring and annoying! So cause of my crappy teachers, the crappy topic we were doing, my wish to do history elective, and because I was pissed off at musical I dropped drama. I miss it quite a bit now but hie is also very enjoyable.

I'm not too great at drama/acting - well I don't think so anyway, my friends/ex-drama buddies reckon I was okay and I got similar marks to others in my class for acting. I really like acting and performing and being on stage and stuff though and I did pretty well at the theory component (logbook 10/10 and critical analysis 20/20) so I still think that I would enjoy it and I might be able to do alright particularly as the major project doesn't have to be a performance.

If I didn't do drama I would be doing either Ancient History or Legal Studies and I'm already choosing Advanced English, English Extension 1, Modern History, PDHPE, Studies of Religion: II and Maths 2U. I think that I'd probably be better at Ancient and Legal but I think I'd enjoy drama more. One more reason to choose it would be that it's a big change from all the essay subjects and it's kind of a less writing intense class to look forward to.

But I really don't know. Should I choose drama or not?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You may as well. It's great to have an outlet subject, and drama does really well in that regard.

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you suck at performing, and you're not keen on improving on a great scale anytime soon you probably shouldn't do it. Being an ace at theory is not good enough. "Majors" exist during the preliminary and HSC year. It's drama remember.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Although the HSC only has one mandatory performance - The Group Project. The rest is written. It's very easy to underestimate (or over) your own ability in performing. OP has passion for the subject, which at this level, is usually enough.

HSC
N/A
Let me tell you this, if you're logbook and critical analysis's marks have always been 100%, then kudos to you, but you need to keep in mind that drama doesn't have only ONE log book throughout the whole year, there are design components, group performances, essays, individual projects and etc. And they ALL require separate log books. Well, depending on how harsh your school is on you, but you probably will have the same work load...
I currently do drama, and it's hell. I really regret doing it and I'm getting full marks for my individual performances, yet I still can't stand it. Not trying to put you off, but it's a lot of goddamned work, on top of English Extension stress....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)