• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Science (adv. math) (1 Viewer)

richz

Hello, there

Ive been reading info abt this uni course, and i have 2 questions:
1) What do u do in this course? is it like actuarial studies?
2) what career options do u have??

thnx :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
science adv maths is not actuary..
actuary is a discipline related to commerce, tho it is heavy math/statistics based...

in a sci(adv math) stream, u will need to major in math and statistics in the bacholar of science.

career option, well, applied math will grant u into fields which algorithms need to be written to solve real life problems, things like modelling, predicting... statistics, contrary to popular belief, is actually alot theoretical based... after graduate, u can find urself in places like ABS, govt sector, private sector ... any places where data need to be collected and analysed...

a further note, a math major can assist in alot of fields... not only in the field of science... for eg, i believe engineering require a certain level of maths... a 2nd yr subject called financial mathematics is also offered to assist those wanting a career in commerce field.

to major in maths n stat:
first yr u do wut ever one does... 12cp of maths, 36 cp of something else
2nd yr do at least 2 maths 2 stat (1 per sem)
3rd yr, u will be able to do major in maths + stat... (noting however, some 3rd topic require prereq from1st/2nd yr... so choose wisely)

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Hmm I don't think you have to major in stats in this stream, but you do need to major in maths. This is really a generic degree that focuses on developing your quantitative skills that are virtually applicable in every field you can think of. So if you are interested in maths but not really sure about your future career directions, this is a good choice. If you wanna get into the business world, BCom/BSc(Adv maths) offers a good combination.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Oh, it's basically a Science degree in which you need at least one major in either maths or stats at the adv level. First year is generally a typical science selection of subjects. It is pretty flexible compared to other degrees.
If you are dedicated enough to mathematics and can persevere through the years, then I believe you will find it quite satisfying. Currently I find 1st year maths a bit slow but the stuff gets better in higher years.
I'm not too aware about the career prospects as I mainly chose to do the degree out of interest. However, I will make my decisions in the future.
You'll also get invited to the Maths special studies program, which cover severl topics which are quite interesting.
So I reckon it's a pretty nice degree to do, but it requires a fair bit of dedication to mathematics.

nit

HSC
Originally posted by Sedated

You'll also get invited to the Maths special studies program, which cover severl topics which are quite interesting
Interesting eh...hence the late-night job on assignment no.2? :rolleyes:

Actually I agree, the topics for maths ssp are pretty interesting.

nit

HSC
yes, you waffled quite nicely, though rather messily. I dug deep and managed to waffle my way to a 27 page assignment all up...all of the 6 pages for q3 were complete waffle though.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Are adv. math students, or advanced science students in general, able to do an arts major along with their main science major?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You can take art subjects but I don't think you can major in it, at least without TSP.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
KFunk said:
Are adv. math students, or advanced science students in general, able to do an arts major along with their main science major?
That'd be BA&Sc, BLibStud or BA/BSc you'd want.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Templar said:
You can take art subjects but I don't think you can major in it, at least without TSP.
What does the TSP change? Does it allow someone more freedom within their degree as well as advanced programs?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
KFunk said:
What does the TSP change? Does it allow someone more freedom within their degree as well as advanced programs?
I'm not in the TSP, so I can't really comment on exact details. But it allows you to take units not from science quite easily, and if you have done sufficient cp of a subject I suppose you can major in it without being in that faculty.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Though it requires a uai of 99+ and a band 6 in a hsc science sub or 95+ in 4unit maths to get invited. I don't know much about taking interfaculty stuff though, but I'm using it to get some prerequisites waivered so I can take higher year units.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
same deal... long as u get 99+ uai, and a band 6 for the particular discipline u r in (95 for maths), u'd be invited...

regardless if u do b sc/b wuteva, u will get invited...

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
xrtzx said:
2) what career options do u have??

thnx :)
the whole point of science degrees these days (especially maths) is that it gives you the most number of job options available. You could work in ANY field you want with it, almost.

SeDaTeD

HSC
And people ask me what on earth I can do with a maths degree, hehe...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)