• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

salvador dali (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
does anyone have any websites that are good for salvador dali's works?? i am trying to find some info on some of his paintings as well as an analysis, but this sorta stuff is really difficult to find......

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i think u'd be better looking at books for him. I did an assingment on him last year for art (that was yr10 art) and i found that there are some really good books that talk about his artwork.
There was one - but i can't remember the title and it spoke about how his life affected images within the work - ummm if u want i can find the name i think i might ahve it in my art books wherever that is - but it talked about the clocks painting and another famous one

AGB

HSC
MissSavage29, that would be sooo helpful if you could do that....sorry i have taken so long to reply, i didnt see this thread until tonight.....if you would be able to put the name of that book up on here i can go and get it from my local library.

thanks heaps,
AGB

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Going and finding art books now...

found it - i'm not 100% sure if it has titles in it though -

ummm the name of the books not there - damn - but i have the notes... does that help i could post them if u tell me what ur looking 4 shouldn't take to long...

i can remember what the book looks like and all - ummmm i think i found it under dali - it was a3 size with a white cover i believe and had heaps of his pictures within it....

If u want that info just tell me - its on the surrealist movement and looks at the works 'The Persistence of Memory' in detail and ascpets of his life he included within his works...

Sorry i couldn't find the name of it - next time i'm at the library i'll go and find it 4 u.
Cheers

AGB

HSC
Hey MissSavage

That is a really generous offer, and if you would not mind too much and it would not be an inconvenience, then I would really really really appreciate the info...

I have also sent you a PM :) :)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Dali

Here are the notes - it was no trouble - lazy afternoon and dont really feel like an essay at this moment.
Hope this stuff is useful

Um mixed in it is some quotes on Surrealism which were interesting. I'm not sure but they might relate to what ur doing. I'll put them in anyway
Mel

"...i believe in the future resolution of the states of a dream and realitym in appearance so contradictory in a sort of absolute reality or surrealitie if i may call it so..." - Andre Brenton

Dali - general notes about background (later this works into his art works)

- tramatised when young due to his parents thoughts that he was a reincarnation of his older brother who died in 1903 (a year before he was born)

- when young he was terrarised about being castrated (having testicales removed) - this is seen a majority of his works

- after his mother died his father married his sister-in-law (dali's aunt) which he viewed as a betrayal to himself and his deceased mother

- Married Gala Eluard - mistress to Max Ernets and wife of Paul Eluard. She had a big infulence over hsi wroks.

Style
- painting where in a photo realistic style

- often contained dream like imagaes

- within his works he drew together all aspects of design, drawing scenes with humans intergratign into animals and parts of the landscape

- called his style of work 'Paronalac critical method' - said that his subcouncious imagery was that of a madman except he was not mad

Works

- nearly always controversial as delt with sex and the subcounsious. Obessed by personal versons of traditional legends and mythology.

- artworks contained either his own complex problems of sexuality and his relationship with his parents

- dali had 3 main themes that ran through his works

1. The legend of William Tell (whole father / son thing)
  2. Millet's Angelus
  3. Fredium world of subconcsious
    [/list=1]

The Great Masturbator
    - one of most controversial and meaningful works

- held in it his feelings of guilt, sex and violence

-personal symbols - grasshopper, rock formations, ants and lillies

In Depth
    'The Persistence of Memory' (soft watches)

- outside mainstream work - attempts to challenge the viewers perspective

- in dali's photo-realistic style which contributes to an eeire mood.

- organic nature of the work - contributes to feeling

- contrasting colours dark shades in background bright in foreground

- symbols of the ants - ants on fob watch are symbol of corruption

- rock formation - symbol of his childhood - stability mabye?

- dali created the work while waiting for his wife Gala to arrive him - impacience for his wife to return exhibitied within the work - could then relate to his relationship with his wife - was the landscape trying to show his feelings about being alone without Gala (barren and dead)

These are some notes my art teacher gave me;
    - an interest in psycology and psychoanalysis encouraged Dali to find hidden meanings not only in dreams but in everyday events and objects

- Dali seemed to live in a state of heighted mental anxiety and his works reflected many of his own paranoas and obsessions

1. Other then that u might want to look at the period he worked in - the dada/surrealist movement cause that would have infleunce his works

The timeframe - dada art started after WWI and surrealist was during WWII so that woudl have had an impact

i hope that was useful

AGB

HSC
thank you soooooo much......it is a huge help

i owe you big time :D :)

chrome

HSC
Anybody know how Salvador Dali can be linked to The Tempest? Pm me =)

Last edited:

emmo

hey does anyone havenay info on dali's work called 'The Ship' i really need some info on the artwork and how it relates to imagintive journeys.... thanx heaps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)