• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Safe to memorise essays for trial exams?? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello.. BOS!!

I was wondering if it is safe to prepare essays and memorise them for subjects like English for the trials and hsc exams??
(I do Standard English).

Or should i just remember my main points and techniques ??? What is the best solution to :(??

Please help me ty!!!!!!!!

enoilgam

HSC
I'd say do a bit of both. I memorised the body of my essays but made up my introduction/conclusion and my opening/linking sentences on the day so I could mold my essay to better fit the question. As far as I know, this is what many people do when it comes to english.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I was a bit scared because I saw some past papers for english and they had weird questions for the essay like, "Write this in letter format or present this text in a newspaper article format" or "Present this in Speech format" . o_O??

enoilgam

HSC
Most often, a partially memorised response can be molded to fit those style of questions, whereas a completely memorised one cant be manipulated in that way. Remember your only memorising your major points, not a rigidly structured essay.

zxreth

HSC
what i do is, create notes based on ideas/values then write quotes+techniques to back them up which i then memorise.

Skyzor

HSC
It would only be useful for creative writing because in most instances you can shape it around the stimulus.

But for the other areas, notes and in-depth knowledge would be all you need.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Whatever works for you, I memorized essays with 2 related texts and 1 related, so use whichever is needed, but thats because it was easier for me that way.

mangoz

HSC
I'd recommend a good integratable thesis for any essays. As the person said before me, memorising creative writing should be fine, even my teacher recommends it. You could memorise some broad yet important points for your main body like sophisticated bits with techniques etc. since even with quotes / points, coming up with something sophisticated in a middle of an unseen exam can indeed be hard. I recommend having a mix of everything in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)