• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Related Text: Going It Alone (1 Viewer)

HSC
Mary Shelley - "Frankenstein"
A Romantic text that criticizes 'workaholism' - not only is Victor 'alone.' deprived from social life and family, but he has also brought into being a creature (Frankenstein's monster) that is utterly unique, and 'alone,' and thus has no place in the overall great chain of being.

Christophe Gans - "Silent Hill" (2006)
A lot of people do not realize that it is a Gothic version of 'Alice in Wonderland.' This is a great film as it shows Rose's struggle alone, her husband, as well as Dahlia, the lone mother who was tricked into giving her daughter away. It also shows that even though you believe you're part of a group i.e the Religious cults, you are in actual fact alone (Postmodernism) - i.e quote "They are wolves in the skin of sheep...shepards without a flock"

Hope this helps!

Also, if you're interested, I'm holding a creative writing course at various libraries.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't do Frankenstein - it's a HSC text. If your school does do Frankenstein for the HSC, you probably will not be allowed to use it for Prelim.

HSC
^ That's what I thought, but I think Year 11s should be allowed, as it's Prelim, and if you are, I suggest you do it, as it'll give you better knowledge of Frankenstein during the HSC.

Another text that epitomizes this genre is Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" which is cautions against being a miserly and leading a lone life. "White Fang" is also a decent choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)