• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

reasonable rent amount in melbourne (1 Viewer)

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
hi! anyone currently living in melbourne?

would like to find out the average weekly rent (utilities included or otherwise) for a room that's reasonably close to unimelb (about 15 mins walk to the Uni). how much is considered reasonable?

how much does it cost to ride the tram each way?

thanks heaps guys!

Last edited:

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Cziffra said:

would like to find out the average weekly rent (utilities included or otherwise) for a room that's reasonably close to unimelb (about 15 mins walk to the Uni). how much is considered reasonable?

thanks heaps guys!
The tram from where to where?
I'm taking you want the tram from the city to uni?

We are like Brisbane with our public transport system, it is all very well set up. Tickets are called Metcards and, of course, it depends on how many zones you're going across on how much your ticket is. Also whether it's for 2 hours, all day, weekly, etc etc.
You have to validate your metcard before you can use it.
I live in Zone 2 so whenever I'm going anywhere I just buy an all day metcard which is $4.10, go anywhere I want, whenever I want, however I want.

Also, try www.realestate.com.au to search for rentals.

kalli

HSC
Cziffra said:

thanks heaps guys!

rent in the city of melbourne can be quite dear (i am in a one bedroom place for 270 a week) but if you are willing to share, then scour the message boards at unimelb... i go to RMIT and there are always ads for roommates ranging from $70 week inc bills to $150 week including bills...

it really depends on where you live... live in zone 1 (city and surounding suburbs) and you can get an all day ticket for $3.10 (unlimted travel on trams, trains and buses)... there is also a free city circle tram that you might be able to use...

i suggest living in an inner suburb (carlton, nth melbourne, richmond, st kilda, brunswick) as the public transport here is really vast and rent is much cheaper when not living in the CBD...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yep what she^ said....im currently living in Clayton near Monash uni....(zone 3)
i pay $90/week excluding all bills...but then again I live in a pretty new townhouse in the master bedroom

if ur going to uni melb i dont recommend living in the city as its way expensive...best bet is for you to live out further and prices drop dramatically...my housemate goes to RMIT and she stays in clayton cos of cheaper rent...another one goes to Monash Caulfield

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
North Melbourne, Fitzroy North, Carlton etc are ok. As are parts of Brunswick. Stay away from footscray etc. St Kilda will be expensive as it's a cosmo area.

Cziffra, did you end up finding a place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)