• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Raw Marks for lower scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
For low scaling subjects such as general maths and CAFS, does this mean that their raw mark would be similar to their alligned mark? Or does it go up a little bit. The 'mean' scaled mark thingo is aprox 20-21 (im aware, very low.)
e.g. If I got 85% raw. Would that be enough for a band 6 in those subjects?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For low scaling subjects such as general maths and CAFS, does this mean that their raw mark would be similar to their alligned mark? Or does it go up a little bit. The 'mean' scaled mark thingo is aprox 20-21 (im aware, very low.)
e.g. If I got 85% raw. Would that be enough for a band 6 in those subjects?
Scaling and aligning are two separate processes.

An aligned mark of 90 could be scaled to a range of different marks depending on the subject.

Aligning is the process undertaken by the BOS to determine the raw marks that equate to the cut-offs for the bands reported on your actual HSC.

Scaling is the process used by UAC to compare the marks from different subjects.

smartalec

HSC
ok well i mean the mark that is reported to us, so alligned marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ok well i mean the mark that is reported to us, so alligned marks.
No.

The process is the same for all subjects and as the subjects are reported to students as marks out of 100 with the majority between 50 - 100 it will be necessary for the aligning movement upwards to be similar to that in other subjects.

It is only when the marks go to UAC that they become 'low scaling' and that assumes that the cohort doing those subjects this year are similar to the cohorts from the past.

smartalec

HSC
I just want to know what raw mark I need for a band 5 or 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)