• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

quoting historians etc (1 Viewer)

PeRMaNnTLY LoST

HSC
hey guys, this may be a rather stupid question but i thought that we, in essays/responses, are not allowed to refer or quote to historians like bradley etc..
for example say: "according to bradley"..etc

can someone please respond to this as i am majorly confused and i have trials in like 3 weeks now!! HELP!!

X

xeuyrawp

PeRMaNnTLY LoST said:
hey guys, this may be a rather stupid question but i thought that we, in essays/responses, are not allowed to refer or quote to historians like bradley etc..
for example say: "according to bradley"..etc

can someone please respond to this as i am majorly confused and i have trials in like 3 weeks now!! HELP!!
I don't fully understand what you say. 1. Do you mean that you're not allowed to quote historians, or that 2. you're not allowed to quote historians like Bradley?

1. With quoting historians, generally: You should should have a quotation or a paraphrase in every paragraph of your essay. Along with this, you should have one primary source. One modern and one ancient source per para will sit you in the top band, if your essay is good.

2. With quoting historians 'like Bradley': There has been huge arguments about this topic on this board. Officially, quoting historians 'like' Bradley, Callender, Lawless, is fine. Callender is a world expert on the Middle Kingdom, and wrote her PhD thesis on women during that period. She is involved in marking, as is Jen Lawless and Pam Bradley - so, to go towards getting marks - referring to them can be a good idea.

Despite this, all three of them are high school teachers. Some pretentious people, who have little or no idea about research positions, think that being a high school teacher does not qualify you to be a historian. They think that you need to be a professor, or some such, sitting in your office knee-deep in books. The problem with this is that research positions are difficult to get, impossible if you don't want to move overseas by yourself. I can assure you that, had this been 19th Century continental Europe, research positions would be available for Bradley, Callender, and Lawless.

There's also the argument that all these people might actually want to teach, not research, but I think that the stigma attached to teaching (ask any intelligent teaching student) makes people assume that they're unworthy of the title 'historian'.

Another objection to using people like Bradley and Lawless is that they are intentionally writing an HSC textbook. This is evident in none of them use their own translations, their own research, etc. Therefore, some people contend, their ideas are too secondary to be used in an essay. The people that contend this interest me; I question how a student in year 12 would have time to read through the laboriousness that is Gardiner, or the silly psychological babble that is Assmann. Lawless and Bradley are excellent in that they give you the page numbers to go to in Gardiner (not in Assmann, thank the lord), so you can go to the right page. Reading any of the 'greats' for study is not productive. Using them to pick out ideas and quotations is fine. Therefore, I'd say that the claim that Bradley and Lawless are only textbook is silly.

That being said, you would be silly to *only* quote the very modern historians like Bradley, Lawless, and Callender - you should certainly have a range. Even better if you can play one historian's ideas off another in the same paragraph, eg: 'Cerny believed that Akhenaten's changes were purely religious, whereas Ockinga calls the king a political "arch-reactionary".'.

ediisjoz

HSC
you should say their FULL name and if you quote them again you're allowed to use their last name, that's what my teachers say...

i.e. Pamela Bradley states that ... in her book... then u can have another quote saying Bradley.

jodipodi

HSC
yeah what she said ^ also dont say their book name its not necessary so says my teacher. she also says dont quote bradley cause shes not a qualified historian or something :S

sideshowtim

HSC
Our teacher says it's okay to say P. Bradley rather than the full name. I'm not sure how much it matters, but as long as your sources are relevant and decent it shouldn't matter how you refer to them.

Magister

HSC
N/A

Oh, no!!!! Not all of this shit about Bradley yet again!! Get over it!!! Use her judiciously and you'll be OK. There is no hard and fast rule about referring to her, or even (shock!!horror!!) quoting her!!:burn:

I am a History teacher and consider myself a historian-always have-because I do a lot of research for my classes, analyse and compare sources as well as write resource materials. No good teacher in this subject should ever feel ashamed of regarding themselves as such.

Don't waste your valuable time, dear AH students, on worrying about these isues.

Good luck to all!!

Magister

dfm

HSC
Oh, no!!!! Not all of this shit about Bradley yet again!!

hehehehe the teacher said shit

X

xeuyrawp

Lord Pheasant said:
We have to know their first names?!?!?!

I've just been learning surnames!

NOOOOO
I don't think you need their first names unless they're quite obscure. That being said, you should be referring to the more well-known historians (Cerny, Gardiner, Breasted, Redford, Kemp, Kitchen). It's not as if there is an A. Gardiner and a R. Gardiner ;P

Magister said:
Oh, no!!!! Not all of this shit about Bradley yet again!! Get over it!!! Use her judiciously and you'll be OK. There is no hard and fast rule about referring to her, or even (shock!!horror!!) quoting her!!

I am a History teacher and consider myself a historian-always have-because I do a lot of research for my classes, analyse and compare sources as well as write resource materials. No good teacher in this subject should ever feel ashamed of regarding themselves as such.

Don't waste your valuable time, dear AH students, on worrying about these isues.

Good luck to all!!

Magister
Well said, as always.

butterflyxx

HSC
You don't quote Bradley at all. She's a textbook writer, NOT a historian. However, she quotes from historians such as Breasted and Standorff & Steele in her book so you can use them instead. But DON'T quote Bradley cos she is NOT a historian but a textbook writer, says my teacher =)

X

xeuyrawp

butterflyxx said:
You don't quote Bradley at all. She's a textbook writer, NOT a historian. However, she quotes from historians such as Breasted and Standorff & Steele in her book so you can use them instead. But DON'T quote Bradley cos she is NOT a historian but a textbook writer, says my teacher =)
Frankly, I've had this discussion too many times to say it any less bluntly: Unless your teacher's an HSC marker, tell them to put a sock in it. Like any other source if used properly, Bradley is fine to reference.

HSC markers officially and unofficially have no problem with Jen Lawless, Gae Callender and Pam Bradley being used in the HSC exam - probably because Jen, Gae, and Pam are involved in both the setting and the marking of exams.

If you don't want to use Bradley in the exam, that's fine, but don't go around telling people that you cannot use them in the exam.

Edit: Considering Bradley/Callender/Lawless are quite active in research (despite being high school teachers), they do qualify as historians. Gae leads the Czech archaeological team in Egypt amoung other things, and Jen and Pam both frequently contribute to peer-reviewed journals. Anyway, my point is that they are not only fine to use in the exam, but they do qualify as professional historians, whatever that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)