• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions about ANU (1 Viewer)

CrazyMystic

HSC
I've been looking up a few unis lately.. (between study ofc) and alas I think I'm falling under the spell that is ANU. However I do have a few questions.

Hows the campus like? Aesthetics and on the social side of things.

How is the accomodation like if I go there? (I'm living in Sydney..so I have to live on campus if I go there).

What do you think of the teaching, particulary by the Law, Asian Studies or Eco/Comm departments. As you can see I'm still indecisive, lol.

Finally how is ANU in terms of gender balance and multiculturism. The reason I ask this is that from the Good Unis Guide they gave ANU a 1 star rating for gender balance...along with the likes of ADFA. Having spent my high school years in a single sex, selective school (read: Mostly asian even though I'm asian myself)...well you know what I'm thinking.

Thanks in advance

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Aesthetically I generally like the campuss. My highpoints being the very oxford/cambridge oval between the main library and the alw faculty (comes complete with weeping willows and a canal (-ish). My lowpoint would be union court and the refectory which I find very bright and sterile.

The uni accomodation is quite good (the majority of posters here live or lived in it), it compares very favourably to any other that I've visited.

Socially because you're coming from inter-state being in a hall/college will be great socially as it will get you mixing etc etc. Overall socially I think ANU/canberra's alright, because of the large numbers of uni students there is a nightlife in canberra and plenty of live music. That said it's not Sydney and it never will be....

I don't know much about the teaching in asian studies but as far as the others:

Law: The marking is hard.
Eco/Comm: Very down to earth and personable (statistics lecturer gives out his home phone number in lectures in case anyone has any problems). Lectures can move at a demanding pace (I found this in econometrics). Tutors may or may not speak the greatest english...
Arts: There are a couple of standout lecturers (Ben Wellings and David Adams) and others I'm not so much a fan off. Likewise the tutors.

Overall I think the teaching standard is very high across all faculties. Obviously though there will be some duds and some greats though.

The one star rating is probably indicating that women vastly outnumber men? From my obseravations ANU is not some kind of male boarding school. That or all the men doing IT, Science and Engineering never leave their rooms/labs, so it looks like women outnumber men. I doubt you'll have any trouble......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)