• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

QUESTION on UAI (1 Viewer)

Maldini92

HSC
Is UAI determined after all that scaled HSC marks etc etc (i understand that part).. have been added up over a total of 500. And then they take cut offs etc to get certain UAI marks for groups of students?

IE. an individual subject choice will only affect ITSELF in scaling(ie. MX2 scaling owns, such that a lower raw mark would get high scaled marks) rather than affect any other subjects i choose(ie. choosing MX2 will scale my other subjects up??)?

melanieeee.

HSC
Maldini92 said:
Is UAI determined after all that scaled HSC marks etc etc (i understand that part).. have been added up over a total of 500.
yes.
And then they take cut offs etc to get certain UAI marks for groups of students?
supply and demand.

IE. an individual subject choice will only affect ITSELF in scaling(ie. MX2 scaling owns, such that a lower raw mark would get high scaled marks) rather than affect any other subjects i choose(ie. choosing MX2 will scale my other subjects up??)?
yes. your subjects don't impact on your other subjects in terms of scaling.

Affinity

HSC
UAC scales the RAW marks... they don't work with the number you get on your HSC certificate.

rusty91

HSC
i've never heard any stories that UAC scales our UAI based on our raw marks. Why is that they choose our raw marks instead of our HSC marks ???

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
rusty91 said:
i've never heard any stories that UAC scales our UAI based on our raw marks. Why is that they choose our raw marks instead of our HSC marks ???
Because it is more accurate that way.

In some HSC subjects, people who got 81 and 82 RAW marks might end up getting same HSC marks.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
rusty91 said:
in addition to what namu said, probably also because they push the marks around anyway.. so it really wouldn't matter..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UAC uses the marks that reflect a full range of marks from 0 - 100 whereas the marks recorded on your HSC really compact that range to 50 -100 so there a huge numbers of students who should be given different ranks who end up with the same mark.

By using the raw marks UAI is more accurately able to give the Universities a better idea of the rank of the students (and that is afterall what the UAI is for - to tell the universities the ranks of the students compared to the rest of the state).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)