• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

PriceWaterhouseCoopers (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Thought I'd make a thread since there wasn't one as yet
it was suggested in the EY thread :p at least now discussions can be kept seperate

I didn't apply to PWC myself. One of my friends has an interview soon though

Good luck to everyone! :)

roadcone

HSC
i can only reply with why bother? the ey thread serves all purposes imo

oz_rocker

Todd Heslin
HSC
Yeah, i dug it ay! I was sorta trying to go in open-minded but i had a strong connection with ey the other night. Although I must say it sure did stand up...Now we just have inteviews and decisions...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What did they tell you guys/show you on the info night (or morning)? *just curious how it differs from my experience a year ago*

=candii=

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
whose got a call back and which division?
i got one for fs :)

i was pretty surprised...they called lyk 2 hrs after my interview

i probably will accept the PwC offer....its #1...cant get much better than that :p

seremify did you start work yet? if so what do you think of it?
btw what division are you in?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations!

LOL shouldn't pick a firm just because it's the largest firm in the world... but my experience has been quite amazing. Started about a week ago!

I'm in Financial Assurance: Resources, Services and Govt .... :)

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
It's 'PricewaterhouseCoopers'. 'PwC' :p

(Minai once corrected someone on that, after they tried to correct his sig to PWC rather than PwC, hence how I know)

I

icycloud

Hey I got an offer too (for tax - also a few hours after my interview) but I'm most probably going to go with EY because they let you do double degree. PwC forces you to do vanilla Commerce (Accounting)! [You can't even choose the major.]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
MedNez said:

(Minai once corrected someone on that, after they tried to correct his sig to PWC rather than PwC, hence how I know)
Haha I stopped caring- must like how I got used to people saying "Earnest and Young".

icycloud said:
Hey I got an offer too (for tax - also a few hours after my interview) but I'm most probably going to go with EY because they let you do double degree. PwC forces you to do vanilla Commerce (Accounting)! [You can't even choose the major.]
Eh...? I don't know what the result will be, but it might be worth your effort telling PwC that's the reason why you are declining their offer. But more importantly is that we fix this misconception about PwC stopping you from choosing your own major...

Isn't it obvious why you have to major in Accounting?
... If I recall correctly, wasn't one of the requirements (from the ICAA) that the candidate must be intending to (or already) major in Accounting? After all, what's the point of being an undergraduate accountant if you aren't going to be eligible to complete the CA program? Even if you aren't going to go on to do the CA program, why would a firm want to hire you as an Accountant (whether it be a tax role, audit role or other), if you don't even study Accounting?

Can someone explain to me why one would want an Accounting cadetship if they weren't intending to study Accounting?

Just so everyone knows, at least for me in UNSW, as long as I major in Accounting, I can do whatever I like for my other major (if I even choose to do double-major). The requirements imposed upon me are those which apply to everyone who plans to progress beyond the level of graduate and complete the CA Program- that is, I have to do the prereqs.

Btw icycloud, I suspect Accounting isn't really what you want to do. Am I right in guessing that? You remind me of some of my friends who only took the spot because they were offered it with no real interest in either the job or industry- only that it was a secure/safe/good backup option... but later on (prior to commencing work) when they were offered other things (eg. coops, scholarships, medicine, double degree, etc...) they ended up cancelling on their cadetships. I don't mean any offence by this, it's just the gist I get from your post and also based on the subjects you are studying for HSC.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
MedNez said:

Thanks MedNez I knew it was PwC :p

I

icycloud

seremify007 said:
Just so everyone knows, at least for me in UNSW, as long as I major in Accounting, I can do whatever I like for my other major (if I even choose to do double-major).
Ah OK this answers my question. I was under the impression you had to do a SINGLE major in Accounting. So it's still OK to do double major? (e.g. Accounting + Finance?). And also are you allowed to choose your own uni, because I want to goto UNSW not Macquarie or UTS.

seremify007 said:
Btw icycloud, I suspect Accounting isn't really what you want to do. Am I right in guessing that?
Well I am actually genuinely interested in Accounting. However, I do still want to keep my options open for later on in my career (e.g. after the traineeship, I might want to change occupations to something law-based?). And anyway having a Law degree is an advantage even if you're just an accountant. My aunt who used to work at the higher rungs of PwC did tell me that they used to (still do?) have a policy of hiring ONLY double degree graduates (into their tax division) so I guess I'm a little bit confused why they wouldn't let trainees do double degrees.

Thanks for taking time to reply, seremify!

seremify007 said:
they ended up cancelling on their cadetships
What would happen if I did this? Wouldn't I get a major kick in the ass and get my name blacklisted with the company? Lol, I don't want that to happen!

=candii=

HSC
seremify007 said:
...later on (prior to commencing work) when they were offered other things (eg. coops, scholarships, medicine, double degree, etc...) they ended up cancelling on their cadetships.
your allowed to do that? :confused: hmm... i thought once you signed the contract for the cadetship your legally not allowed to cancel the cadetship at the end of the year just because you were offered a coop/scholarship or smth =S

so if i accept this cadetship...and later on say i get offered the unsw coop, i can cancel the cadetship?

dunno i'll probably keep the cadetship though coz it if i wanted to get a graduate position at PwC it would probably be alot harder to get in wouldnt it (becasue of limited positions/luck might not be as good the second time round :p)?

I

icycloud

candii - so are you accepting PwC? What are some of the reasons you're accepting them? You don't mind the fact that they don't let you do a double degree?

=candii=

HSC
icycloud said:
candii - so are you accepting PwC? What are some of the reasons you're accepting them? You don't mind the fact that they don't let you do a double degree?
yeah i think i am accepting it...im pretty sure.

PwC seems alot more flexible than the other firms (i really want to do the sandwich program...im not sure if ey offers that though)...and i dunno lol seems like its alot more relaxed environment as well haha. everyones superduper frendly :)

i guess your decision would basically come down to considering where you would fit in more...n for me its PwC :) (not to mention that i didnt receive an ey offer yet but anyhoo...:p)

seremify's right though...you should talk to them about your interest in doing a double degree...im sure if they feel that you can cope with it they will find a way to work around that...talk to them and see what they say its worth a try :)

even if i was to pursue full time uni with no cadetship/coop/scholarship i would still do B Commerce (Accounting)...lol ive always wanted to do that....so it doesnt really bother me that they recommend to study only Commerce or Business with an Accounting major.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
icycloud said:
Ah OK this answers my question. I was under the impression you had to do a SINGLE major in Accounting. So it's still OK to do double major? (e.g. Accounting + Finance?). And also are you allowed to choose your own uni, because I want to goto UNSW not Macquarie or UTS.
I go to UNSW along with 13 other cadets (from my year). Does that answer your question?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm doing Acct/Fin. Some people are doing Acct/Biz Law, and some doing Acct/HR. Problem with UNSW is it requires quite a bit of effort to organise your degree to fit in your major(s), your gen eds, and the CA-prerequisites. But if you plan ahead, it's possible.

icycloud said:
Well I am actually genuinely interested in Accounting. However, I do still want to keep my options open for later on in my career (e.g. after the traineeship, I might want to change occupations to something law-based?). And anyway having a Law degree is an advantage even if you're just an accountant. My aunt who used to work at the higher rungs of PwC did tell me that they used to (still do?) have a policy of hiring ONLY double degree graduates (into their tax division) so I guess I'm a little bit confused why they wouldn't let trainees do double degrees.
There's a huge difference when it comes to Tax compared to other divisions I've noticed. Basically, Tax people tend to do double degrees (in general- not necessarily PwC) and aren't required to undertake CA (although alot of them do) but need to do a Masters of Tax instead. If you're in Assurance, you'll be much better off just doing Commerce and getting your CA, after all, the point of a cadetship is to fast track your career in accounting. That being said, I can see why you'd want to keep your options open and most employers will look quite favourably on work experience in Big4 environments.

Remember, a double degree takes a lot longer to complete- and also, it means it'll take longer before you reach CA, and thus, even longer before the firm will get to reap the rewards of training you up... not to mention the risk you might just jump ship after all this! Unless you're in tax, I don't think many people do double degrees on a cadetship.

EDIT: So that being said, I'm not really sure why they don't allow/encourage you to do a double degree. My only guess is they want you to hurry up and finish the CA program (and any other training/post-grad qualifications for Tax) rather than waste time doing law when you won't be making full use of it. This is purely speculation and you'll have to ask your contact for more info.

icycloud said:
What would happen if I did this? Wouldn't I get a major kick in the ass and get my name blacklisted with the company? Lol, I don't want that to happen!
I'm not in a position to officially make a comment on this, but from the friends I have who did that... I wouldn't want to be in their position.

=candii= said:
your allowed to do that? :confused: hmm... i thought once you signed the contract for the cadetship your legally not allowed to cancel the cadetship at the end of the year just because you were offered a coop/scholarship or smth =S

so if i accept this cadetship...and later on say i get offered the unsw coop, i can cancel the cadetship?

dunno i'll probably keep the cadetship though coz it if i wanted to get a graduate position at PwC it would probably be alot harder to get in wouldnt it (becasue of limited positions/luck might not be as good the second time round :p)?
Technically you are breaking the terms of your contract by cancelling it- but then they probably won't sue you because they haven't really suffered financially (ie. they haven't paid you any grants or subsidies yet)- but that's not to say they definitely won't. You're not supposed to apply for coops (there's actually a warning) if you've already signed a cadetship; even worse, the firms that sponsor the coops tend to be cadetship firms as well (in the industry stream).

As you pointed out, and as they emphasise all the time- TALK TO SOMEONE if you're not happy with the terms. And I think you're on the right track in the sense that even if you didn't get the cadetship, you would still pursue Accounting- after all, cadetships require dedication to the career.

Btw, your reasoning is one of the things which I thought of when applying for cadetships. At least "now" (ie. last year) i'm only competing with a few dedicated people... in a few years time, I'll have to compete with pretty much every graduate (there's 1000 ppl per year at B Comm in UNSW alone) for a spot- sounds tough eh?

Hope this helps you guys out in making your decisions :) Just remember, a little over a year ago, I was in the same situation as you lot were in- I know the feelings!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)