• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Physics and Biology knowledge for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
What is all the assumed knowledge in the preliminary course that will be tested in the HSC for Biology and Physics? For chemistry, I know that these foundations will be necessary for the HSC:
  1. Ions - formulae, balancing equations - states
  2. Type of chem. reactions: ppt (precipitate), redox, acid+base, combustion, combination, decomposition etc.
  3. Moles - calculations, concentration, dilutions - calculations, gas volumes, delta H = -mC delta
  4. Carbon chemistry
What about for Bio and Phys? Preferably if 08'ers can answer. Thanks in advance :).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
x.Exhaust.x said:
What is all the assumed knowledge in the preliminary course that will be tested in the HSC for Biology and Physics? For chemistry, I know that these foundations will be necessary for the HSC:
  2. Type of chem. reactions: ppt (precipitate), redox, acid+base, combustion, combination, decomposition etc.
  3. Moles - calculations, concentration, dilutions - calculations, gas volumes, delta H = -mC delta
  4. Carbon chemistry
What about for Bio and Phys? Thanks in advance :).
For bio,

you would probably need to know about the prominent cell organelles (nucleus, nucleolus, cytoplasm, cell wall, cell membrane, ribosome, mitochondria, chloroplast and etc.)

you need to know SA: V ratio, osmosis, diffusion

also the difference between prokaryotes, eukaryotes

microscope (difference between TEM, SEM and light)

Ah~~ I am not entirely sure. But most stuff in Patterns in Nature will be probably revisited (according to my HSC notes)

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
lyounamu said:
For bio,

you would probably need to know about the prominent cell organelles (nucleus, nucleolus, cytoplasm, cell wall, cell membrane, ribosome, mitochondria, chloroplast and etc.)

Ah~~ I am not entirely sure. But most stuff in Patterns in Nature will be probably revisited (according to my HSC notes)
Um, no.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Kirsty Xx said:
Oh settle down sweetheart. I only believe that what Namu said was not 100% correct and that you shouldn't follow it.

I know what the HSC is, and assumed knowledge in Biology isn't that. So, fucking grow up.
Well, I have found that we re-visit the different types of body system such as endocrine, excretory, circulatory systems which are the systems we learnt during yr 11 in Patterns in Nature. And we look at them in much more details in yr 12 Biology where we talk about individual organ that is part of the system, i.e. lymph node, pancreas and etc.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
For bio,

You've already made HSC notes :eek:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, I have found that we re-visit the different types of body system such as endocrine, excretory, circulatory systems which are the systems we learnt during yr 11 in Patterns in Nature. And we look at them in much more details in yr 12 Biology where we talk about individual organ that is part of the system, i.e. lymph node, pancreas and etc.
edit: I was editing my post.

The phloem and xylem is taken as assumed knowledge (from Patterns in Nature) and how it works and why (transport systems in plants). Also excretion systems, gas exchange systems in plants and the difference between meiosis and mitosis.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Kirsty Xx said:
edit: I was editing my post.

Oh settle down sweetheart. I only believe that what Namu said was not 100% correct and that you shouldn't follow it.

I know what the HSC is, and assumed knowledge in Biology isn't that. So, fucking grow up.

The phloem and xylem is taken as assumed knowledge (from Patterns in Nature) and how it works and why (transport systems in plants). Also excretion systems, gas exchange system in plants a the difference between meiosis and mitosis.
Yeah, true.

But I am also pretty sure you have to know the difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes when you visit bacteria in The Search for Better Health. With that, it is important to know the cell organelles too.

May be the microscope part is wrong...because it's not really important...

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, true.

But I am also pretty sure you have to know the difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes when you visit bacteria in The Search for Better Health. With that, it is important to know the cell organelles too.

May be the microscope part is wrong...because it's not really important...
Oh and a bit from Evolution of Australian Biota.

I think the microscope part is wrong. And I don't believe prokaryotes and eukaryotes show any significance in Search for Better Health and neither do cell organelles.

Where are you getting this from?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Kirsty Xx said:
Oh and a bit from Evolution of Australian Biota.

I think the microscope part is wrong. And I don't believe prokaryotes and eukaryotes show any significance in Search for Better Health and neither do cell organelles.

Where are you getting this from?
I am getting this info from Heinemann biology textbook and from my notes and from the syllabus.

By comparing yr 11 and yr 12, I know what I am expected to know. I am certain you have to know the diff between prok and euka as both syllabi suggest and yeah, just found that microscope part is quite pointless but not necessarily meaningless - it's always good to know more. :rolleyes:

diff between prok and euka is significant where you learn about bacteria then we go to all sorts of things related to fragella, vili and etc.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am getting this info from Heinemann biology textbook and from my notes and from the syllabus.

By comparing yr 11 and yr 12, I know what I am expected to know. I am certain you have to know the diff between prok and euka as both syllabi suggest and yeah, just found that microscope part is quite pointless but not necessarily meaningless - it's always good to know more. :rolleyes:

diff between prok and euka is significant where you learn about bacteria then we go to all sorts of things related to fragella, vili and etc.
I fail to see the link between a structure that extends from the inner lining of the small intestine (that absorbs nutrients) and bacteria in the topic The Search For Better Health.

Am I missing something here? There's nothing in the syllabus detailing the requirement of any such knowledge of prokaryotes and eukaryotes. There is no need to revisit such information in the HSC course.

Have you been taught this or been told that this information is necessary? Or are you presuming this by attempting to teach yourself?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Kirsty Xx said:
I fail to see the link between a structure that extends from the inner lining of the small intestine (that absorbs nutrients) and bacteria in the topic The Search For Better Health.

Am I missing something here? There's nothing in the syllabus detailing the requirement of any such knowledge of prokaryotes and eukaryotes. There is no need to revisit such information in the HSC course.

Have you been taught this or been told that this information is necessary? Or are you presuming this by attempting to teach yourself?
I have been taught the difference between prok and euka and this comes again in HSC so I presumed that that is the assumed knowledge.

And the dot point is here:

distinguish between:​
−​
prions

−​
viruses

−​
bacteria

−​
protozoans

−​
fungi

−​
macro-parasites
and name one example of a disease

caused by each type of pathogen

This is where you have to know the diff between euka and proka (euka is fungi here and prok are bacteria)

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
lyounamu said:
I have been taught the difference between prok and euka and this comes again in HSC so I presumed that that is the assumed knowledge.

And the dot point is here:

distinguish between:​
−​
prions

−​
viruses

−​
bacteria

−​
protozoans

−​
fungi

−​
macro-parasites
and name one example of a disease

caused by each type of pathogen

This is where you have to know the diff between euka and proka (euka is fungi here and prok are bacteria)

Yeah but what I mean is that I don't think in differentiating between these pathogens you are required to mention procaryotes and eucaryotes.

Instead:
Prion - An infective protein that causes the degeneration of brain tissue
Virus - a large molecule of protein and nucleic acid. Some contain DNA and others contain RNA. It enters a host cell. Arguable whether it is living or not
Bacteria - Bacteria reproduce through binary fission (assumed knowledge). Pathogenic bacteria cause disease by secreting toxins, invading cells, forming bacterial colonies that disrupt normal cell function
Protozoans - One-celled organisms larger than bacteria with the DNA organised in a nucleus
Fungi - Simple organisms (similar to plants without chlorophyll)
Macro-parasites -Multicellular parasites

Mention procaryotes and eucaryotes per se if you wish, but that description is not necessary.

Last edited:

Ali92l

HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
  4. Carbon chemistry
What about for Bio and Phys? Preferably if 08'ers can answer. Thanks in advance :).
Hey, I can help you for the bio part as i am sitting the hsc in a few weeks.
Simply put, nothing in preliminary bio is tested in the hsc. Also as Kristy pointed out transport systems are taken as assumed knowledge but you will re-do them with more detail next year.

Meanwhile, you DON'T have to know the difference between a prokaryote and a eukaryote. When you distinguish between fungi and bacteria you take into account other characteristics such as size, weather the cell is unicellular/multicellular , how they may reproduce and a description of one or two physical features but no Harm in MENTIONING that ones a prokaryote and the others a eukaryote i guess.

Also, if i recount correctly you may have done a few experiments with leaves, something associated with starch (?). Anyways, Past year hsc papers ( 04,05 or 06) had a question on designing an experiment which is similar to the one prelim course.. so take the practicals into account.

Goodluck in your hsc dude.

Also

Then what? If that's your only answer with nothing constructive, then GTFO and don't post k? :rolleyes: Thanks Namu and Baggygreen
That may have been harsh, She did sound like she was only trying to help.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
ok lol bio pretty much covered essentially anything u need to know for prelim course will be recovered in more detail in hsc course so dont fret

now for physics which i cna help with. From prelim course only things u kinda need will be the knowledge about waves, barely anything from electricity but i mean u go over it again, also need to know motion and seriously thats about it. Truly i thought going into hsc year i would need to know almost all of prelim stuff but i found out there is seriously nothing needed because u recover it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)